bonefishdick

Day Light Savings Time

29 posts in this topic

I'm not quite sure about this daylight saving's time idea, it takes me six months to get used to it & then it is another shock to my system.

FT

Florida may want to remain the same all year but they failed to mention it takes an act of Congress or the Department of Transportation to approve.   More chance of the latter happening than the former.

Daylight Savings Time gets weird as you go farther west in the time zone.  Sunset in Indiana is around 9:30 PM in the summer.

Ft

as it is now it is more like 8 months of DST and 4 months EST. My understanding the reason for it was more of a safety issue for the children in the morning so that they were not going to school and waiting for school buses in the dark. I for one am okay with that as much as I don't like the time changes

Posted (edited)

I've often heard of the school rational.  I guess it would be too easy to just start and end school an hour later.  Go figure...

Edited by Jettyhound

The real reason we have to deal with this every year plus 11 other fun facts about DST.

"The first American to advocate for daylight saving was Benjamin Franklin. He realized in 1784 that many people burned candles at night yet slept past dawn in the summer, wasting early-morning sunlight."

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/living-well-usn/articles/2012/03/12/12-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-daylight-saving-time

On 3/11/2018 at 11:46 PM, Slacker said:

Daylight Savings Time gets weird as you go farther west in the time zone.  Sunset in Indiana is around 9:30 PM in the summer.

You are right ... we visited my daughter in Cleveland last July & sunset was right 9:30. Felt weird for sure.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, saltfisherman said:

Florida is about one step away from getting rid of the whole clock change idea. We will have daylight savings time clock setting all year long. 

I didn't hear about this...more info?

Gives me more incentive than ever to make the changes I need to move to Florida...again.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:27 PM, Local66 said:

Florida is one of them. The bill passed, and hopefully I'll never have to reset the clocks on my cars and appliances again. 

Local66 this is one more reason for me to be jealous of you!  I miss Florida!

22 hours ago, Jettyhound said:

..  I guess it would be too easy to just start and end school an hour later.  Go figure...

Why make it easy when it could be complicated

46 mins ago, formula1 said:

Local66 this is one more reason for me to be jealous of you!  I miss Florida!

Yeah, about that. We're witnessing a complete collapse of our ecosystem at the moment. The IRL, the Everglades, all of it. I'm not talking about a bad year, an isolated algae bloom or fish kill, this is forever. Reading about all the "outrage" from local guides who have made careers exploiting our resources is more than I can take.

To add what local said. It sucks, dead fish, water quality in SWFL. Grass flats are smaller or gone. Go further north around Tampa area, Longboat Key and the water is beautiful.  My wife and I were just talking about moving from here in a couple years, the water has lost it’s beautiful nature and left for brown. Might as well be the Raritan bay after a rain. It’s not quite that dark but it’s not clear by any means. 

Its too bad that the water quality is being ignored by the gov here. 

Anyone remember back in 1974 when Nixon imposed double daylight savings time.  As I remember it was to save energy.  1974 may have been one of the gas shortage years.  May have been imposed for one year.

Posted (edited)

If you ignore the whole concept of day light savings and do not reset your clocks, sometimes you will either late or early for an appointment. Some days will seem darker or brighter.

Wildlife does quite well ignoring the idea of it.

The amount of light through the eye tells the brain when to sleep or wake.

I no longer need an eight to five hobby, so I am always late and on occasions early. :)

1974 I remember quite well, but at times it's a bit foggy!

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician
After Thought