kenzie

Transducer Mount

18 posts in this topic

Hello All,  I was looking for a way to mount my transducer to the yak, but also making it portable, so to move it between three different yaks.  I came  across this site, Fish Finder Mounts .com.  They use magnets. One on each side of the hull, to attach the transducer.  It looks easy enough to make your own bracket.  However I was wondering how practical this method really is.  Anyone have any experience with this, or know of anyone that uses a mount like that?  

Looking at the cost of those kits, I believe you would be far better off to put together something yourself.  You can use one of those external arm mounts for the transducer.

I've got it, but only the transducer mount. Have used it for 1 season so far and love it with no issues:th:

One more thing, don't get your fingers caught between the magnets, will give ya a nasty pinch:eek:

17 hours ago, bstriping said:

I've got it, but only the transducer mount. Have used it for 1 season so far and love it with no issues:th:

thanks, bstriping,  that is what I wanted to know.  I may look into this after I purchase my FF and will only be using the transducer mount if I don't fabricate one myself.  I was down at Bass Pro today.  The salesman was very informative and made reference to the Sea Sucker.  He claimed that some yakers use them without issue.  The cups  have a pump attached to make the suction.  

Guess what I did. Went out this weekend for the first time with my thru hull raymarine dragonfly 4 and it didn't work at all thru hull. 

Went back sunday.  I have a suction cup go pro mount for cars laying around that I thought would work since s screw provided was the same threads and size. Fabbed up a mount with it for the transducer, worked perfectly. 

Heres a pic, I had it angled up cause I just brought it down to the water. I changed the angle with a knob once I was good to go

IMG_2758.JPG

3 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Guess what I did. Went out this weekend for the first time with my thru hull raymarine dragonfly 4 and it didn't work at all thru hull. 

Went back sunday.  I have a suction cup go pro mount for cars laying around that I thought would work since s screw provided was the same threads and size. Fabbed up a mount with it for the transducer, worked perfectly. 

Heres a pic, I had it angled up cause I just brought it down to the water. I changed the angle with a knob once I was good to go

IMG_2758.JPG

Perfect for lakes and flat waters :th:

A new sidescan methodology?

A few thoughts fwiw ... there is going to be a lot of force on that suction in choppy conditions, launching/beaching in the surf could be damaging to the transducer, line management when fighting a large fish will be important. Good luck.

nifty idea using the go pro mount.  Let us know how it works out after a few outings on the water.  How do you like the Dragonfly unit?  I was looking at that one, but I found  a 2016 post on the internet stating they had software issues. Allthough,  they had plenty of time fix that, but ya never know.

2 hours ago, Africaster said:

A few thoughts fwiw ... there is going to be a lot of force on that suction in choppy conditions, launching/beaching in the surf could be damaging to the transducer, line management when fighting a large fish will be important. Good luck.

I was in a foot chop Sunday with tiny white caps and it was fine. These auctions are designed to stay on cars at speeds over 100 mph. I even peddled full speed into the chop and it was good. 

Fought several fish that day and i was trying to get them on the fish finder, like have the transducer see them, and it was fine. Didn't get in the way. 

This kayak will rarely be on a lake. This mount is stout

2 hours ago, Africaster said:

I was in a foot chop Sunday with tiny white caps and it was fine. These auctions are designed to stay on cars at speeds over 100 mph. I even peddled full speed into the chop and it was good. 

Fought several fish that day and i was trying to get them on the fish finder, like have the transducer see them, and it was fine. Didn't get in the way. 

1 min ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Great stuff ... if you're still of the same opinion mid-summer, I'll definately give it a bash.

A bash? Like try it?

the only thing that is eh about it is the fact that it prob makes me go a bit slower and drags. But I was still going 2.7-3.5 knots paddling not real hard