SurfCasterNJ

Why Eelskin ?

37 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ccb said:

What did you do to brake the handle in the first place ?   I would think by making it longer it would break even faster ? 

Have to admit that you lost me on that one.

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Have to admit that you lost me on that one.

Yeah I was wondering what he was talking about myself !

2 hours ago, ccb said:

What did you do to brake the handle in the first place ?   I would think by making it longer it would break even faster ? 

I think CCB thought he was responding on the thread about the broken/replaced VS handle

23 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Don't recall if the plugs were stored in brine or in a plastic container of salt.

Anybody know?

I roll mine in kosher salt, stick in ziplock or tupperware, pop in freezer. Keeps forever.

15 hours ago, rst3 said:

I roll mine in kosher salt, stick in ziplock or tupperware, pop in freezer. Keeps forever.

Thanks, rst3.  Just the answer I was looking for!

Now about this next storm...

ugh!

I've been freezing my skin plugs and riggies for many seasons. I keep a few plugs and riggies in a small Igloo playmate cooler, generally put them in a zip lock bag first. Haven't used any salt on them since it's a corrosive. Also put a couple of small freezer packs in the cooler. Store the cooler in the freezer until needed. Take the whole cooler with me when I'm hitting the shore and load them in my bag when I'm there. It takes about 15 minutes to defrost a plug, double that for a riggie. Unless its a cold night they'll be ready to fish by the time I walk to a spot.

I store unrigged skins in a sealed plastic tub with a heavy kosher salt bring and keep that in the fridge. Whenever I run across a good skin I throw it in the tub. There're must be some skins in there that are 20 years old. 

My wife is very understanding, but I have a separate beer and bait fridge in the basement.

I also keep mine in a Tupperware with kosher salt in the freezer. Those lure tubes work well me, I just clip them on my belt and keep the plugs with skins on them out of my bag. As to an eel skin plugs effectiveness, yes, they require some work and maintainence but they can be deadly when it seems like nothing else works.