SurfCasterNJ

Why Eelskin ?

37 posts in this topic

Why the need to go through all the work to eel skin a plug ? Why not just fish eels ? 

I think not everyone can get fresh live eels, so when you find some you can rig them and keep them in salt in ziplocs for your future trips and dont have to worry about a thing. Also by having couple of different plugs rigged with eels skins you can work the whole column, from needlefish worked on top to deep diver eel skins. my 2 cents

6 mins ago, Seabassplug said:

I think not everyone can get fresh live eels, so when you find some you can rig them and keep them in salt in ziplocs for your future trips and dont have to worry about a thing. Also by having couple of different plugs rigged with eels skins you can work the whole column, from needlefish worked on top to deep diver eel skins. my 2 cents

Didn’t think of that, but just seems like a ton of work.

Eelskin plugs will sometimes cast farther than live eels or rigged eels (allowing you to reach fish).  Live eels require a very slow retrieve so you can cover more water with an eelskin plug.  If you are fishing shallow water with a sticky bottom live eels and rigged eels can get hung up.  Sometimes the fish just prefer them to a live or rigged eel. Also, when you are done, you can just throw the plug in a ziplock and into the freezer to use it again the next night.

Don't the gulp eels work, they can be fished at all water column levels. I have never used them but was tempted to buy them.

Cause they work. Live eels can be a major pain in the ass to source, keep alive, handle, clean up after. Eel skins plugs you throw in a bag of salt and put em in your fridge. They crush 

18 mins ago, patrickjohn2014 said:

Cause they work. Live eels can be a major pain in the ass to source, keep alive, handle, clean up after. Eel skins plugs you throw in a bag of salt and put em in your fridge. They crush 

I’m going to give them a try!

Posted (edited)

I have eels at my disposal all the time so maybe why I haven’t tried it but being able to reuse I guess is a valid reason.

Edited by SurfCasterNJ

They work great and will last many seasons if well cared for 

they work great when herring are around or on bright moon nights 

you can rig different plugs with em to be able to cast em further than an eel, allows different presentations and depth coverage 

besides the work of rigging em and keeping em from drying out they’re worth the effort 

a shop sells the skins ready to go, in various sizes for a very fair price 

I’ve used the Berkeley rigged eels (not the gulp) and had some success with em on the mudflats but not too much in the surf 

What a great way to get all you can out of a bait. I love live eels and feel most confident in them to give me a shot at a cow! That being said I'll be giving the skins a try to put some use to all the dead ones, when typically I'm just throwing away. What a waste. Definitely an advantage to work more of the water with a skinned lure! 

9 mins ago, Crabba said:

What a great way to get all you can out of a bait. I love live eels and feel most confident in them to give me a shot at a cow! That being said I'll be giving the skins a try to put some use to all the dead ones, when typically I'm just throwing away. What a waste. Definitely an advantage to work more of the water with a skinned lure! 

I don't use eelskin plugs very often.  I do, however, make rigged eels out of my unused/ dead eels.  Its a bit of work-but the use of small zip-ties (instead of a sewing needle and rigging floss) cuts down on time involved.  SCJ has a nice video using the zip tie method.  The action of a properly rigged eel with a broken spine and the siwash hooks acting as a keel, is really impressive.

15 hours ago, SurfCasterNJ said:

Didn’t think of that, but just seems like a ton of work.

It is.  It was a great fish catcher in it's day, and probably still is today, but there are options that are just as good.  Soft plastics have changed that game for me.  Sure....somebody out there is going to say "But Bluefish destroy soft plastics."  Yeah, they do, so you put on another one. "But eelskins are really durable, and soft plastics cost money."  Yeah, they are, but finding large enough eels isn't cheap or easy either.

2 hours ago, clambellies said:

It is.  It was a great fish catcher in it's day, and probably still is today, but there are options that are just as good.  Soft plastics have changed that game for me.  Sure....somebody out there is going to say "But Bluefish destroy soft plastics."  Yeah, they do, so you put on another one. "But eelskins are really durable, and soft plastics cost money."  Yeah, they are, but finding large enough eels isn't cheap or easy either.

What is the best way to preserve them on the plug ?  Just fill a bag with salt and keep them in the freezer ?