OSV tag violation

Rate this topic

19 hours ago, BlueHwy said:

The only thing the OSV sticker obstructs is my view of my hood.  From my angle the hood sticks out farther.

(Same was true for the VA sticker mentioned above.)

If the sticker falls within 7 inch square area on the lower left corner you should be fine. If you go over then the rule is broken.

Quoted from US LawJustia:

2010 Maryland Code
TRANSPORTATION
TITLE 21 - VEHICLE LAWS - RULES OF THE ROAD
Subtitle 11 - Miscellaneous Rules
Section 21-1104 - Obstruction to driver's view or driving mechanism.

§ 21-1104. Obstruction to driver's view or driving mechanism.

(a)  Load or number of passengers.- A person may not drive a vehicle if it is so loaded or there is in the front seat so many passengers as to:  

(1) Obstruct the view of the driver to the front or sides of the vehicle; or  

(2) Interfere with the control of the driver over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.  

(b)  Position of passengers.- A passenger in a vehicle may not ride in any position where he:  

(1) Interferes with the view of the driver to the front or sides of the vehicle; or  

(2) Interferes with the control of the driver over the driving mechanism of the vehicle.  

(c)  Obstruction of view through windshield.-   

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person may not drive a vehicle on a highway with any object, material, or obstruction so located in or on the vehicle as to interfere with the clear view of the driver through the windshield.  

(2) This subsection does not apply to:  

(i) Required or permitted equipment of the vehicle;  

(ii) Adjustable, nontransparent sun visors that are not attached to glass; or  

(iii) Direction, destination, or termini signs on any passenger common carrier motor vehicle.  

(d)  Signs and materials on windshield or windows.-   

(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subsection, a person may not drive a vehicle with any sign, poster, card, sticker, or other nontransparent material on the windshield, side wings, or side or rear windows of the vehicle.  

(2) This subsection does not apply to:  

(i) Materials placed on the windshield or rear window, within a 7 inch square area in the lower corner, or on the side windows of the vehicle to the rear of the driver, if the materials are placed so as not to interfere with the driver's clear view of traffic;  

(ii) Direction, destination, or termini signs on any passenger common carrier motor vehicle; or  

(iii) Electronic toll collection tags placed in the windshield of a vehicle in accordance with the regulations of the Maryland Transportation Authority.  

(3) The Administration shall adopt regulations to exempt from the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection materials placed on the windshield of a vehicle in compliance with security measures required by a federal or State government agency and approved by the Administration.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 661/2, § 11-1104; 1977, ch. 14, § 2; 1992, ch. 401; 1996, ch. 219; 1999, chs. 152, 153.]  

I have a jeep TJ so I put it on the passenger side lower right windshield. Have to or it WOULD obstruct vision. They told me to put it there at the Ranger Office cus I had a jeep.  Would think any out of state reasons on other vehicles would apply and dont see how that would be disallowed.

On another note I would love to be a fly on the wall in that courtroom when you address the judge in front of the officer and question the motives of a traffic cop who clearly is less concerned with public service and more in fine enforcement.

1 hour ago, fish-on said:

The violation sucks; however, i'm still wrapping my head around "ridgeline"  as in Honda Ridgeline.  If so, seems like small 'truck' for you.

Hey Fred....I consider it a car :howdy:

1 hour ago, Critter Gitter said:

Fred,

He slept in that thing for and entire week maybe more last fall and caught all the fish, big ones.   He did look out of place.  Hard core for an old man.

Worse, most uncomfortable sleep yet. But by the second rod out, I forgot all about it......who you callin old man :p

ASSUME NOTHING

2 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Hey Fred....I consider it a car :howdy:

Well, I guess I didn't get out to AI last year.  I think there were  a couple times that we went, but weather sent us home early.

Car...funny, year.  My friends Erik and Brian both have Ridgelines.  Jorge and I joked how "cute" their trucks were...lol.  They've handled pretty well in the sand though.

3 hours ago, Critter Gitter said:

Fred,

He slept in that thing for and entire week maybe more last fall and caught all the fish, big ones.   He did look out of place.  Hard core for an old man.

When you got it, you got it...no matter what you drive.

That is lame.

I "reserved" the lower corner of the windshield for my AI OSV pass & Del parks pass, so my vehicle inspection/emissions stickers go above it ... I don't think that I am as likely to get called out on that "obstruction" as I would for the fishing related ones.

My guess is when you walk into the courthouse, the judge will dismiss the charges before you get the chance to make an argument. Here in PA, I asked my inspection mechanic about the legality of the stickers on the windshield, he said that since NPS is a federal organization their requirements override state requirements. I would think that would apply everywhere.

Regardless, the cop could probably have found something better to do........

The cop was hoping your son had something on his breath, or was otherwise impaired, or distracted, and when your son was straight, and legit, the cop had to write him up for something, and the sticker was staring him in the face.

I would fight it for sure, and take your son to court as he was the person issued the ticket.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

• 2 weeks later...