mark d

cheap travel surf rod advice ?

15 posts in this topic

yes i know you get what you pay for but... i will be hiding this rod in the dunes in mexico because i can not bring it into the port where i dock because that would not be slave like. while at sea i might be ordered to another country and not come back. lost a nice okuma nomad set up that way in africa. so.....whats cheap and won't break on the first cast ? looking at a fiblink 9' for $54 on amazon. free shipping. thoughts anyone ?   

thks

Don't have experience with one but was thinking about grabbing one for backpacking I hear good things about the, kastking blackhawk telescopic fishing rod.

i tried a telescopic awhile back and it broke on the first fish. was not a kastking though. maybe they are ok. will google. thks

I use the South Bend Typhoon 8' telescopic rod for backpacking and travel. Great action and reliable, I've used it in the surf when I travel down to Florida. I use it with my 710z.

You can always go with Popeil's pocket fisherman. haha

i plan to use a 710z also. is that rod strong enough for jacks ? will google, thks

Search here for the Diawa Ardito threads

There are a few on fleabay, reasonably priced when I checked recently

I just picked up the mh 11ft ardito and am very impressed! I would stay away from the fib links or kastkings if at all possible.

Not sure what you define as cheap, but I picked up a Tsunami Travel Surf Spinning Rod, the 9'3" 3 piece rod. I picked it up to keep in my car at all times for unplanned fishing opportunities. About $80 I believe

Tsunami 3pc 7’ boat rods hold up if shorter and heavier action is preferred.  Also versatile up to 6oz. About 80.

They wanted to take my Tsunami travel rod in the Dominican . I had been bringing it for 3 years as a personal item like a cane . I was on the plane the day before with it and the plane broke . The next day go through customs guy takes it out hands me the Sock/holder and says No Fly and tells me to Go . OHHHH Hell No . After a hour of Bitching at them they gave it back to me but said i had to check it . I go out front and the lines are huge for 1 . 2 the thing is in a sock our brand new luggage looked ten years old after one way trip . I looked for the youngest guy that hauls your luggage a mile for $5 bucks . I gave it to him . There was some sort of holiday and this custom guy must have been going fishing . So go cheap like you are looking . The tsunami was great but i think i payed $100 

13 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Not sure what you define as cheap, but I picked up a Tsunami Travel Surf Spinning Rod, the 9'3" 3 piece rod. I picked it up to keep in my car at all times for unplanned fishing opportunities. About $80 I believe

yeah, i'd call that cheap. the reviews i read were not good but maybe they were not true. have you fished the rod a lot ?

whitey, sorry to hear about your rod. you handled it well. give it to a poor kid instead of a corrupt official.  did you get a lot of fishing on your tsunami ?

thks guys

I saw the reviews on Amazon...couple of broken rods. I assume that’s what you mean by not good reviews. I haven’t had that problem...yet. It’s not the greatest rod in the world, but I wasn’t looking for that. I keep it tucked out of sight in my car for impromptu fishing opportunities of which they’re haven’t been many. For planned outings, I have a mojo, an fsc, and a tiralejo.

So ive only used it a couple times. Couple shorts. No broken rod.

I have the 7'6 mh tsunami travel rod. Its a nice rod for 80 bucks. Used it on two trips and its held up. Keeping it in my car is a good idea which im probably going to do. 

i saw the 8'6" mh tsunami at tackle direct but they are out.  where did you get your rod ?

thks

6 mins ago, mark d said:

i saw the 8'6" mh tsunami at tackle direct but they are out.  where did you get your rod ?

thks

amazon