geekWhoFishes

Tactical Anglers Clips when fly fishing?

27 posts in this topic

Tie your own knots. that way when you lose a beast you'll know who to blame !

First time fly fishing this year too and was curious about clips on a fly line. The reason why they are so popular with surfcasters and spinning gear is that they prevent you from cutting into your leader everytime you change lures. With that being said, how much leader material should you pack and how short is too short and time to change?

With Spring just around the corner, 5 foot mono or fluro in 20# test are the rule when striped bass fishing.  When they

get set in their Summer feeding cycle longer leaders come into play using tapered leaders.  

The sand eel is the bait in May and June.  they school in the thousands and are 1.25 to .50 inches when they start moving on to the Flats. By June they are 2.5" and 3".  I exclusively fish thin epoxy files in May and move to Clouser's and then Half & Half flies. 

No clips necessary.  I believe they affect the smaller flies we use in the spring.

When you first start out knot's are a scary complicated thing, learn the easy one's, then tackle the more difficult knot's. Practice & practice.

If a knot fails and you (or me) tied it we get an F in that knot construction. Failed Knot.

Old mono, sloppy knots or not enough spit on the knot all come into play of a well tied knot. But sometimes even a perfect knot fails for some reason.

If you really think how a good knot holds, think that we use a 15lb class tippet to catch 100+ lb. Tarpon. Mono is strong material and rod bend plus proper drag settings come into play on the survival of your knots, also fish fighting skills.

FT

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, RJ said:

With Spring just around the corner

Is that a heads up that I can start using my 10 weight in the Hudson? :worms:

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician
edit reason

On 3/7/2018 at 10:30 AM, slip n slide said:

duolocks are a good way to lose stuff as they really do not stay locked,esp in the surf

True. I actually stopped using them for surfcasting years ago, in favor of tying direct and later TA clips. I also don't like those little wire fly fishing leaders with the snap on them. They'd open and I'd lose flies on the actual cast. I spoke with the company owner about it, and he informed me that this was impossible. But I lost probably a half dozen flies on them before giving up on them. Now I tie direct with the plastic-coated wire leaders if I'm into toothy critters.

the couple of times I tried to use the tactical anglers clips I cast them right off. 

2 hours ago, baldwin said:

True. I actually stopped using them for surfcasting years ago, in favor of tying direct and later TA clips. I also don't like those little wire fly fishing leaders with the snap on them. They'd open and I'd lose flies on the actual cast. I spoke with the company owner about it, and he informed me that this was impossible. But I lost probably a half dozen flies on them before giving up on them. Now I tie direct with the plastic-coated wire leaders if I'm into toothy critters.

Do you use a knot or a twist n' heat for securing the fly? I find loop knots on wire to come out off-set

I generally use one of those modified improved clinch with the loop in it, with fewer twists. I like to heat and melt the coating together if I do it ahead of time. It is hard to keep the knot from being offset, I usually just live with that. I'm not all that worried about how it effects the action, since when there are big bluefish around I usually switch to a large Bob's Banger with some long hackles and pop the hell out of it.  It'd be more of a dilemma if swimming a subsurface fly.  I don't really know a good way to do this with subsurface flies, other than using that bare single-stranded wire that kinks easily. 

On 3/7/2018 at 10:30 AM, slip n slide said:

duolocks are a good way to lose stuff as they really do not stay locked,esp in the surf

Any of you guys ever try an Alberto knot for connecting the fly line to the leader or will it not work due to the type of material?

Not as streamlined as a nail knot or some other substitutes. I often use a uni knot instead of a nail knot, and crank it down tight. Sometimes I'll add a drop of Superglue as added insurance. I've never had it fail, in over two decades of using it.