geekWhoFishes

Tactical Anglers Clips when fly fishing?

27 posts in this topic

I am getting rigged up for my first season fly fishing the salt after years of surf casting. Is it common to use TA clips to make changing flies easier? I going to be tying up leaders of various lengths and was thinking about adding 50 lb TA clips. What are the pros and cons?

pros:

you dont have to tie loop knots. Maybe you can change a fly 30 seconds faster?

cons:

depending on the line you use, they will not be that fun for casting. Its manageable, but pretty annoying. 

if your fly isnt big enough to obscure the clip (from the fish's point of view) they will see it. dont use it on smaller flies 

They also add a lot of weight to the front of the fly, and would add a pretty serious jigging action to the fly. That might actually trigger strikes in some situations, but would hinder the action you want in many others. If you really want to use a clip, you can get the smallest Duolock snaps that you can find. These wouldn't be much of a factor on large flies, but I'd rather just use a loop knot.

duolocks are a good way to lose stuff as they really do not stay locked,esp in the surf

I use them all the time with bluefish, since the flies don't last long and blues aren't fussy. In those instances they work great. 

i use the small TA clips when i am fishing bigger bulkier flies on sinking lines.  I think they are great for big deep water or stained water.  If you are fishing smaller flies in shallow clear water they defeat the action of the smaller fly and i like to think it destroys the look of the natural.

and for bluefish heck yeah

Posted (edited)

you can get swivel snaps in very small sizes. that's what I use for bluefish, along with 15lb tiger wire.

I get mine from cabelas.

Edited by Aquacide

7 hours ago, slip n slide said:

duolocks are a good way to lose stuff as they really do not stay locked,esp in the surf

Duolocks yes you will lose "stuff"! Tactical Clips are not known to most fly fishers.

The 50# TA is too small for the larger hooks on most larger flies. The hook eyes are to thick to fit in the "pocket" and may damage the TA's.

I have no interest in using a clip, many people seek input on one idea or another and they always get input given with the best intentions and then they go ahead and try what ever it is they asked about only to find out "this isn't working for me".

My suggestion try it and make up your own mind.

If it doesn't wok for you then you can ask what's the best loop knot to use if you don't already know one. If not I recommend the perfection loop for your fly. 

Learn how to tie a loop knot. Search "Knots by Grog"

I suspect a clip is less of an issue than most people think, but for me a loop knot is almost as quick.

It sounds like tying up some leaders with clips and some without is the way to go. The main reason that was curious about using a clip is that when using spinning gear, I have found that I am more likely to experiment with different lures when using a clip, especially in the dark. I guess we’ll see how it goes.

I use the small 50# TA clip along with wire(surflon) when I flyfish for pike. That is the only application for me.

Other than that, loop knot.

Cheers

^..^

The added weight of even the smallest clip is going to bring the fly deeper. Won't it cause it to turn over on it's side in slower water ?

Not fond of retying tippets for 16's and 20's ( age / vision / cold fingers ) but in saltwater tying  20# or 30# to a 2 /0 or bigger is easy even without the glasses.