Sandbar1

Ticks

66 posts in this topic

This is the dumbest map I've ever seen. And I've seen a few skidmarks in my day.

Lyme cases 2016.

2016-dot-map.jpg.8c3fec0171c6c02fa85d42f22b36fc42.jpg

Does anyone even remotely believe only 3 people, west of Worcester, got Lyme disease in 2016? Whoever made this map should be thrown into a Chuck E. Cheese ball-pit filled entirely with ticks. Thanks for visually understating the epidemic you fhuks. Thanks for nothing, CDC.

On 3/8/2018 at 9:24 AM, bob_G said:

I insist on being tested with my regular bloodwork and I always come up negative. It has to be either pure luck, or perhaps some people have an immunity?

On 3/8/2018 at 9:40 AM, snookster said:

The "experts" stated that not every deer tick carries Lyme disease and not everyone has the same propensity for contracting the disease if bitten by an infected tick. 

I read that a while ago so I don't know if is still the current thinking.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:46 AM, mikez2 said:

I think my biggest advantage is my skin seems sensitive to the juice they inject. I get a flaming itch very quickly when they dig in. I feel like I find every one before 12 hours.

Doc did say I can't count on that though. 

I wonder about immunity too. I feel like I had it in the 90s, knees ached all the time. Then strong antibiotics for other reasons seemed to cure it. Nothing since then even though I'm outside almost everyday. Work and play.

There does seem to be something about *immunity*:

"...There may be a bigger-picture way to imagine vaccines, however, than targeting each disease with its own shot. Ecologist Richard Ostfeld of the Cary Institute is one of the people hoping for a vaccine that stops the tick itself, and thus all the diseases it may pass along. By the luck of the great lottery of genetics, Ostfeld has a hyperactive immune response to tick saliva. Think of it as a natural version of what a tick vaccine might achieve.

Despite “many, many dozens of tick bites” over his career monitoring Lyme disease risk, Ostfeld has not gotten sick. He often wakes in the middle of the night with a “burning sensation” somewhere on his body. “I … put on my glasses and, sure enough, there’s a little dark spot surrounded by what’s already turned kind of red.” Warned by his vigilant immune system, he pulls off the dark bit of tick, which is usually dead or dying.

Maybe it’s a thing among tick scientists. Sam Telford of Tufts University’s veterinary school in North Grafton, Mass., who also studies the ecology of Lyme disease, has a similar reaction. Bites, he says, “itch like crazy.” A vaccine that makes people itch doesn’t sound very marketable, but blood that somehow poisons ticks sounds good.... "

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ticks-here-stay-scientists-finding-ways-outsmart-bloodsuckers

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

There does seem to be something about *immunity*:

"...There may be a bigger-picture way to imagine vaccines, however, than targeting each disease with its own shot. Ecologist Richard Ostfeld of the Cary Institute is one of the people hoping for a vaccine that stops the tick itself, and thus all the diseases it may pass along. By the luck of the great lottery of genetics, Ostfeld has a hyperactive immune response to tick saliva. Think of it as a natural version of what a tick vaccine might achieve.

Despite “many, many dozens of tick bites” over his career monitoring Lyme disease risk, Ostfeld has not gotten sick. He often wakes in the middle of the night with a “burning sensation” somewhere on his body. “I … put on my glasses and, sure enough, there’s a little dark spot surrounded by what’s already turned kind of red.” Warned by his vigilant immune system, he pulls off the dark bit of tick, which is usually dead or dying.

Maybe it’s a thing among tick scientists. Sam Telford of Tufts University’s veterinary school in North Grafton, Mass., who also studies the ecology of Lyme disease, has a similar reaction. Bites, he says, “itch like crazy.” A vaccine that makes people itch doesn’t sound very marketable, but blood that somehow poisons ticks sounds good.... "

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ticks-here-stay-scientists-finding-ways-outsmart-bloodsuckers

Wow, that sounds like what I said!

I want to know how long can a tick live for ?  Also how long can they live for sitting on a weed waiting to host something?  Don’t they need blood to feed on ? 

47 mins ago, Marty said:

I want to know how long can a tick live for ?  Also how long can they live for sitting on a weed waiting to host something?  Don’t they need blood to feed on ? 

Lifecycle is generally 2 years, from egg to egg layer.

54847-004-54B7F090.jpg.13bca51951b255ec7bd8f244c39ccfb2.jpg

I think they only feed ~4 times in their entire 2 year life.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

I have zip locked them in a baggie with no air and they crawl out fine in a week.  Ive left them for onths and they are dead.  I dont know the exact tim eof death, but they can go without food water or much oxygen for a week without breaking a sweat.  

More brush fires and more fowl / chickens / quail would help.  

20 mins ago, rst3 said:

Good info. Thanks. My neighbor has a pro come every year and sprays few times. Cost $2500. They never had a tick bite. I moved next door two years ago and house was a bank sale no one lived here for 7 years. House had all sources of bugs including termites ants. They were coming out of the floor molding in the 1,000. Had ant nest all over the yard. I started using Tengard SFR 36.8 % Permethrin Insecticide. Now, not one bug  anywhere. My neighbors had 3 tick bites this past year even tho they spray. Tells me they move next door. We have two lots with woods. That stuff works. To keep those ticks away from us when kids are playing on grass, use lime. Doesn’t kill them but they will walk away. Deer doesn’t like lime also. 

07241232-958F-49B2-ADB7-491FD27741C6.jpeg

FBD80DBF-AC63-4AF3-B442-ADEDDA1FD224.jpeg

1D4E3C24-24AD-4A49-9633-D99D8FDBC6AD.jpeg

4 mins ago, 55555s said:

I have zip locked them in a baggie with no air and they crawl out fine in a week.  Ive left them for onths and they are dead.  I dont know the exact tim eof death, but they can go without food water or much oxygen for a week without breaking a sweat.  

More brush fires and more fowl / chickens / quail would help.  

Funny you said chicken. We had turkey at one time. I counted them once in my yard 55. I was thinking  what they were eating? Do they eat ticks ? 

8 mins ago, Marty said:

Funny you said chicken. We had turkey at one time. I counted them once in my yard 55. I was thinking  what they were eating? Do they eat ticks ? 

Birds eat ticks, and chickens are known to do a good job of it .   I assume a turkery can as well.  Thhey are opportunistic omnivores.

Each turkey will eat aprox 400 ticks a day nice to have them around and that is why they get top oil Sunflower seed in there feeder every day:howdy:

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Each turkey will eat aprox 400 ticks a day nice to have them around and that is why they get top oil Sunflower seed in there feeder every day:howdy:

Carl , I think its 200? 

I know a guy, Tony…owns a Mist guard company. Sprays pymetherin on timers like an irrigation system..i don't have problems with ticks at home..just in the woods...

14 hours ago, Joe G said:

Guinea fowl love ticks.        

IIRC,  there was a thread on tick eating birds last year. Guinea fowl were prominently featured. However i guess they are loud as hell. :eek:

15 hours ago, rst3 said:

In a way they have evolved into the perfect being. Blow them up to our size and homo sapiens would be toast. :mad: