Latest storm

Rate this topic

BrianBM

31 mins ago, Joe G said:

More than a few years back, my gal pal and I rode out a bad winter storm in your historic town. 

Road was too treacherous to continue north so we booked an overnight room in the upper Jarves Wing of the Daniel Webster Inn.  We spent more time than we should sitting at the bar and quaffing bourbon old fashioned in the Tavern.  Very cozy and friendly place to ride out a storm.  Seems there were more locals in the Tavern than travelers that night.  Notable among them were Tom and Arlene Ellis who also elected to stay at the Inn rather than travel back home down 6A.  Great conversation and good times that night. 

good storm story Joe, hopefully they have back up power there now, I know they've had no power in the recent past 

open borders :thdwn:

Huh. Maybe I threw in the cards too soon.

Thought this band was going to contract and die out and that would've been basically it for stacking further totals. But it's hung in there for hours and hours. For all intents the whole storm snow-wise was this one band.

Can see it rotating off south shore into a N/S vertical position just outside 495/mid-state about 1030.

AM_BAND.gif.6f4e2264798a001a4f809b250bcaa490.gif

5PM? Still pounding away, finally creeping east, with much higher snow-to-water ratios now that cold air has drained in from the north.

Quick-stacking fluffy snow.

PM_BAND.gif.29d970995cd9acd09aaf00a0fd0a13af.gif

Looks like most towns (outside Cape and SS) will verify or come reasonably close to the general forecast after all. 

Lots of 12-20" numbers coming in. Flufftown_USA stuff but whatever.

##

Hopefully those who lost power today get it back quick, and the much maligned 'computer' storm penciled in foe next week.. shrivels or misses wide in real life.

At this point I've had more than enough March and late winter snow and cold. Off to South Florida this weekend for brief fishing trip. 

Edited by rst3

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

7 mins ago, rst3 said:

Huh. Maybe I threw in the cards too soon.

Thought this band was going to contract and die out and that would've been basically it for stacking further totals. But it's hung in there for hours and hours. For all intents the whole storm snow-wise was this one band.

Can see it rotating off south shore into a N/S vertical position just outside 495/mid-state about 1030.

AM_BAND.gif.6f4e2264798a001a4f809b250bcaa490.gif

5PM? Still pounding away, finally creeping east, with much higher water to snow ratios now that cold air has drained in from the north.

Quick-stacking fluffy snow.

PM_BAND.gif.29d970995cd9acd09aaf00a0fd0a13af.gif

Looks like most towns (outside Cape and SS) will verify or come reasonably close to the general forecast after all. 

Lots of 12-20" numbers coming in. Flufftown_USA stuff but whatever.

I'm in merrimack nh, getting hammered with heavy snow bands. 

15 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Anyone know what Few3 did?  Is he OK?

My patch of Long Island didn't get that much, though it's heavy and wet.  I'm glad of that. I'm enjoying the flu (and I did get the shot, darn it) and have zero energy for shoveling.  

He posted an in-process pic on page 7. Assume he's zonked out after running the gauntlet to Boston in the storm, then having his ticker worked on.

Yeah the flu shot sucks this year. The disease docs say if you do get sick after the shot, the course may not be as rough because your immune system's been primed at least

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

14 mins ago, BrianBM said:

t. I'm enjoying the flu (and I did get the shot, darn it) and have zero energy for shoveling

i got the shot and got the flu last year...

was only bad for a day or two, weak for another week.  many around me got the flu too.  those who got the shot went similar to me.  those that did not were in bed for a week and weak for several weeks.  hope your bout goes short and shallow !

as for snow here in the city - it looked impressive for a couple hours this am but amounted to nothing (didn’t stick at all) and it was all over by 2pm.  just cold and windy now.

heard my house in n truro lost power again.  at least there’s snow on the roofs to keep the shingles on this storm.  just trying to make lemonade i guess til its time to go fishing  ...:)

Yeah.  

I called to cancel an appointment with my prosthetics maker. He took the phone and said I sounded awful awful awful, go see your physician now  ....  well, I did. 

Apparently Tamiflu only helps if it's administered early on in the infection, so I was too late for it. So, a steroid to relieve swelling in the lungs and bronchial tubes, an antibiotic that is to deal with any bacteria along for the ride with the flu virus, and lots of fluid and sleep. I only got back to brawling in Political Graffiti today, which is a long time for me to be quiet. 

Edited by BrianBM

Just got back shoveling out 3 cars and 1 driveway. Freaking took 3 hours total. 

I went out in the afternoon around 2pm and did one hour shoveling. The snow was already about 12 inch. Then i went out at 8pm and cleared out the rest, about 8" or so this time. 

But I didn't do the cars earlier and looks to be 20" on top of it. Spring need to come soon.

19 hours ago, rst3 said:

"Wah, wah, whahhh".. Sad trombone.

20180313_131209.jpg.37f8a28a9930ea7ef82651b3fa32a232.jpg

More like rusty trombone.

Seems Cape and South shore will bust waay low on totals. Be surprised if they do 10/11-ish.. when some folks had them at 24.

Snow Band moved off that southeast area early, then set up out west in central mass where it is now stalled. Few towns like Brockton could end up with 16..maaybe 18 tops. Otherwise, seems most areas will 'realistically' do 8-12 by the time things completely shut off/wind down this evening.

Glad storm wasnt worse on south shore/Cape, or power outage situation would've been straight awful. Bad enough as it is.

98% of Harwich was out last night. 100% of Chatham. 80+% in Dennis and Yarmouth at one point. I'd say we got whacked good enough. Power came back on at my house at 0430. about 8inches total id say. finally turned fluffy last night. poor wife is out with the snow blower clearing the neighbors. dog and kids are loving it though...

When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person;
it merely says something about our own need to be critical.
-Author Unknown-

Is it just me, or does it seem that the "seasonal clock" has rotated clockwise @ a month or so.... 

I know that the philosophy of time is based upon the ratio of daylight to darkness but I'm interested in the seasonal temperatures. 

Lately it stays warm and dry until mid December then we get 3-4 snow storms in March!

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

25 mins ago, TBYRD said:

Is it just me, or does it seem that the "seasonal clock" has rotated clockwise @ a month or so.... 

I know that the philosophy of time is based upon the ratio of daylight to darkness but I'm interested in the seasonal temperatures. 

Lately it stays warm and dry until mid December then we get 3-4 snow storms in March!

Heard a theory the other day....   We are entering a new ice age.  Winter is pushing later and later into March and April while November, December and January are becoming milder.    Eventually that will start to reverse itself and winters will start stretching backwards until we have 9 months of Winter weather from September to May with a brief thaw in June - August.   

This all taking place over the next hundred years or so.

DITCH TROLL