BrianBM

Latest storm

171 posts in this topic

Jason, RJ's in New Jersey.  Flounder there are iffy because they spend so much time sucking flesh from the corpses of dead mobsters.  NY has a two fish limit, and I'm not getting out of bed to chase them, either.  

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Exactly once underwater your land is in the public domain correct?  I know in RI the average high tide line separates private/public.  If the new tide line takes away half your property through sea level rise then what?   Probably need a real estate attorney to explain.  

I'd think you give it up, without any kind of break or compensation. That's what I'd have expected if I bought a property a couple of feet above sea level on the ocean.

3 mins ago, patchyfog said:

I'd think you give it up, without any kind of break or compensation. That's what I'd have expected if I bought a property a couple of feet above sea level on the ocean.

Yea, I was thinking in the context of my property re-evaluations over the years it always includes the size of my lot with the evaluation based on square footage.  I was thinking if my lot gets smaller I'd get some sort of relief but maybe not.  

4 mins ago, DZ said:

Yea, I was thinking in the context of my property re-evaluations over the years it always includes the size of my lot with the evaluation based on square footage.  I was thinking if my lot gets smaller I'd get some sort of relief but maybe not.  

I wouldn't be opposed to a proportional approach...till you hit unbuildable, at which point it becomes public property. That's what makes sense to me.

My wife's great grandparents had a house in Pocasset prior to the 38 hurricane, it was reportedly completely washed away.

After the storm, their property was completely under the high tide line... IE, it was gone.

18 mins ago, DZ said:

Hmmm.. but what if a storm deposited a nice sand dune there and added to your lot?  ;)

47 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Already forget about last year's April Fool's nor'easter  that dumped about 6" - 8" of snow with blowing winds?

When I was in high school we had a blizzard that dumped 12"+ of heavy, wet snow during the April school vacation week. We couldn't play/practice baseball that week because the fields were covered.

The snow is officially over around May 1st.  :)

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

I won't let my guard down as far a  winter storm until the middle of April...............

No doubt, we can always get a last of the 9th burst of wet slop. But at least in mid-March we're gaining 3minutes of sunlight every day....and this weekend the sun angle becomes equivalent to Sept 30th. Big plus. Typically any super late snowfalls have to hit at night and need the perfect bullseye of cold support. Becomes harder with each passing day.

Re: spring forecast

As for the kisses and bouquets of flowers? Well uh, thanks fellas!

Might want to hang on to those smooches a little longer though. Disclaimer: trying to be an optimist with this final 30 day winter window, but..

Today's latest European and British models have Monday's storm out to sea :). 

..though American model still gives us a swipe :/

Gfs.gif.417d27714323d9fe2fb6ef7bcc432156.gif

After that hurdle? not much in the storm pipeline upstream. Good news.

Only fly in ointment is a persistent and strong high pressure block over Greenland(orange area over Greenland in gif⬇).

Block.gif.cb78a5a39c16247ca470afc686075396.gif

That block is common to the so called "negative-phase North Atlantic Oscillation(-NAO)." -NAO means rising pressures over Greenland/North Atlantic, which help to buckle the jetstream south over the east coast. This promotes cooler and often unsettled weather. The mostly blue shades over east coast (in gif) for next 2 wks shows this cool and unsettled trough-iness (vs ridges of high pressure, nicer weather)

So.. we might not get a major storm swinging through to take advantage of that setup--but it'll be awhile yet before shortsleeves and lawnmowers

\_(ツ)_/( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Long Island's TV forecasts are entertainingly dramatic.  6" and maybe 8"?  Well, I'm barely functional with a bad cold, the wife will stay home Tuesday anyway (the bulk of local snow will happen over night) and hopefully Wednesday I am almost normal. 

reading more of the future guidance and it's saying we will be paying for the warm january/february with a crappy march into april. More storms predicted after this one i guess....the weather nuts are all over the map up here today. last night i heard 12+ for my locale, but then this morning they are saying 1-3" of slush...not sure who the hell to believe. i know one thing, im not shoveling...

On 3/8/2018 at 11:24 AM, rst3 said:

Good news is, appears this storm likely our last of winter. Storm due up next Monday favors a miss, 3-400miles out to sea. And the less likely hit wouldnt be too bad, even if enough cold made into the picture.

On to spring.

lol

And this is why I dont get paid the big bucks. To be honest though, nobody had any more clue than this last Thursday. Amazes me that we can see "potential" storms 10 days out.. But actual impacts often dont clarify til 1 day out. That's definitely the case here.

2 hours ago, bradW said:

the weather nuts are all over the map up here today. last night i heard 12+ for my locale, but then this morning they are saying 1-3" of slush...not sure who the hell to believe. i know one thing, im not shoveling...

:) That's an accurate description.

Heard some of these terms being bandied about on the twitter this morning: "ᴄʀᴜꜱʜ ᴊᴏʙ" ..."ᴇ.ɴᴇ ʙʟɪᴢᴢᴀʀᴅ!"

20180311_155919.png.942d726cb7316c923a82e9f90dad8009.png

Me? Still not sold on "Crush Job." Not yet at least. Really suggest folks wait another 12hrs before they dive into 'storm bunker' mode. By tomorrow morning, short term guidance should have a decent hold on storm. Later than usual to pin the thing down? Yes. that's just reality with this setup. 

Virtually no doubt left that many/most towns in eastern Mass get 6". Some debate left as to whether things pan out to be a sloppy nothing on Cape/sloppy seconds for south shore...

...or something much, much more.

Remaining *huge debate RN is whether coastal areas get buried with a foot+ (or more)... or cap out at 6-10 for highest totals. Here's one map from the conservative camp, NWS:

20180311_155747.png.a771d0d3b943485772cd8644f48758a8.png

I would say plan on at least this. Pretty sure we can take 6 to the bank.

And if we do get more? Well, it'll be a lot more. Not a huge grey area here between the 2 solutions. It's either a 6" sideswipe, or we get straight crapped on.

Also: I'm not concerned about the tides on this one. We're at monthly minimums Tuesday.

Ah well.  Hey, at least for the next 48 hours there'll be plenty of space on your favorite partyboat!  

Update:

Edit.jpg.de83893f40ae301198b10fb45127c3e5.jpg

Welp! looks like Taunton (NWS) jumped ship from the conservative camp. They're now on board for a good ol fashioned beatdown:

20180311_170716.png.fce8c66196c9fcf5803cb294a214b860.png

Screenshot_20180311-170552.jpg.194fb33bc58dd8770ef1f195d83d041f.jpg

....again... (thats why i dont get paid the big bucks:).

Posted (edited)

still in the sloppy mess portion, but i'll take it. my poor wife has enough to do than worry about shoveling a foot of snow while i am laying on the couch... :rolleyes: 

and rst3 i take back my :kiss:

instead you get :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: 

Edited by bradW

41 mins ago, rst3 said:

Update:

Edit.jpg.de83893f40ae301198b10fb45127c3e5.jpg

Welp! looks like Taunton (NWS) jumped ship from the conservative camp. They're now on board for a good ol fashioned beatdown:

20180311_170716.png.fce8c66196c9fcf5803cb294a214b860.png

Screenshot_20180311-170552.jpg.194fb33bc58dd8770ef1f195d83d041f.jpg

....again... (thats why i dont get paid the big bucks:).

Came here to get the RST3 report. Didn’t disappoint. I am disappointed that this could turn into a real back breaker though.