Solarez vs Loon UV

Rate this topic

bonefishdick

I am curious to see if there is a big difference between the two, I have been using the Loon Thin UV and I really like it. I primarily use it just on heads and to cover some of the bodies on my clousers in the style that I tie. 

I read the Solarez instructions and it says it hit it for 1 second and wait 15 seconds and hit again an d wait then hit it again for a full 30 seconds. With the Loon Thin I have been hitting just been hitting it one time with the light  for 10 or 15 seconds or so and done. Is it really required to do as suggested with the Solarez for such small amounts like just the head of a fly.

The Loon is $17 for a 1/2 oz and the Solarez is $24 for 2 oz.

Edited by bonefishdick

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

4 hours ago, bonefishdick said:

I am curious to see if there is a big difference between the two, I have been using the Loon Thin UV and I really like it. I primarily use it just on heads and to cover some of the bodies on my clousers in the style that I tie. 

I read the Solarez instructions and it says it hit it for 1 second and wait 15 seconds and hit again an d wait then hit it again for a full 30 seconds. With the Loon Thin I have been hitting just been hitting it one time with the light  for 10 or 15 seconds or so and done. Is it really required to do as suggested with the Solarez for such small amounts like just the head of a fly.

The Loon is $17 for a 1/2 oz and the Solarez is $24 for 2 oz.

Wow... big difference per ounce.  All things being equal seems Solarez is the way to go.  I had purchased the Tufflye product,  which is okay but expensive.  Wish I had started out with the Solarez.  The Tufflye light can't be used on the others, though supposedly safer.

HT

Edited by HillTop

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

1 hour ago, ccb said:

Why is that.?  The light isn’t strong enough ?

Light has a different wave length.   A blue light.   Supposedly it's safer for eyes and skin than the typical UV lamps.

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

I tie lots of Candies and epoxy flies in a few different styles and use both Loon and Solarez. I use the Thin and the Thick in both and I just hit them both with the light for a constant 5 to 20 or so seconds depending on size, and they both work fine. I don't really have a preference between the Thins. I do prefer Loon Thick because when hardened it has a "rubbery" quality and is not as prone to cracking or shattering if I whack something with the fly on my backcast. The Loon is a lot more expensive though--over twice the price of Solarez in 2 oz bottles--so I buy Solarez. JMO

9 hours ago, Kml said:

cgg have you tried the Solarez thick flex formula in the green tube?

It sound like what you have described. 

I do use the Solarez Flex and like it very much. I don't tie a lot of flies that call for Flex, but the Solarez is very good IMO and I use it instead of Softex sometimes if I am tying with SF Blend or Deadly Dazzle material and want to stiffen it a little to keep it from fouling. 

I guess I never read the directions either.  I bought one of the rechargeable UV lights from Loon.  I hit it for 15 seconds and it is good to go.  No problems. I am using the thinnest solareze available.  I like the price and the 2 oz bottle will take me a year to use.

Edited by Fisheye

2 hours ago, danflytr said:

I use Master Bond UV 15 :) 

Dan,

Isn't the only place you can purchase Master Bond is from Master Bond themselves ?       Looked at one of their other products once and I had to go straight to the manufacturer.

HT

PS:  Hows the price compare per oz ?

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, HillTop said:

Dan,

Isn't the only place you can purchase Master Bond is from Master Bond themselves ?       Looked at one of their other products once and I had to go straight to the manufacturer.

HT

PS:  Hows the price compare per oz ?

Yes unfortunately plus they will ask for feedback :)