RudyH2O

Big shout out to Zeno Hromin

34 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Mojoe said:

I’ve been watching a lot of his YouTube videos lately, very informative stuff. He’s also very personable. Really enjoy him and John Skinner. Both are wealth of information.

Definitely, great advice for a novice like myself.

8 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

Reading thru the pages is a real PITA.  If you lose your place you have to start at the beginning and keep hitting page forward.  The screen viewing frequently seems too small or too big.  On a phone its miserable.

I like their content and i like Tommy's graphic style.  The one thing i really do not like is those dumb kids doing the Comanche videos. Super annoying. Just skip those every time. For those of you going to the RI show this weekend, its a good chance to sign up or renew.  Excellent bonus gifts.

Not one to start a beef with anyone about anything on the internet period and in no way am i trying to but if you really knew the comanche guys you wouldn't refer to them as "dumb kids".... I'd be pretty confident in saying they outfish the majority of the surfcasting community and Pete is an absolute ANIMAL. He fishes HARD. They do a lot of good for guys who are looking for more in depth info and they certainly help a lot of dudes looking to step their game up.. Enough from me, but couldn't just glass over that one.

59 mins ago, LukeStambaugh said:

Not one to start a beef with anyone about anything on the internet period and in no way am i trying to but if you really knew the comanche guys you wouldn't refer to them as "dumb kids".... I'd be pretty confident in saying they outfish the majority of the surfcasting community and Pete is an absolute ANIMAL. He fishes HARD. They do a lot of good for guys who are looking for more in depth info and they certainly help a lot of dudes looking to step their game up.. Enough from me, but couldn't just glass over that one.

Second this. These “dumb kids” do it right and and with more passion than a lot of people. Also not one to usually say something but had to call this one out because in my opinion these guys are great for the sport 

I subscribed to SCJ last year, read through just about everything twice, what I didn’t care for was that their Tip of The Week was usually already covered in their You Tube channel, hardly ever any new stuff, spent the entire last winter reading and watching everything and doing it again this winter, so, when it runs out I’m done, their You Tube channel has Everything and is free .

Z is one of us and loves this thing we do. Helping the new guy to get acclimated is a good thing. Good begets good, always 

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, LukeStambaugh said:

Ah you're right...sorry.... inappropriate to use that kind of terminology regardless of my like or dislike.  My bad.  They are probably good guys.

What bugs me is the YouTuber attitude.  Get a go pro and film everything, the early morning ride, getting coffee, etc, etc...and edit in some loud music.  That approach that young people seem to favor of loudly broadcasting self-aggrandizing videos to the world is the exact opposite if what i like about tbe sport.  That's just me.  

Edited by blackdogfish

On 3/5/2018 at 11:51 AM, RudyH2O said:

I have watched some of the * videos on youtube and I just read Zeno Hromin's book Surf Fishing, Interviews with the experts. He does a great job. I learn a lot from him.

I did try to check out the * web site because I want a subscription, but I haven't been able to get the free preview to work. 

That's one of my favorite books on using lures.  Learned a ton from that book.  

On Monday, March 05, 2018 at 8:34 PM, DooPA77 said:

If I see some of these surfcasting celebs (Zeno, Bill Wetzel, John Skinner, etc) on the beaches of Long Island should I say Hi or do they just prefer to be left alone?

These guys are just fisherman. No different then me ot you. None of them consider themselves a celebrity.

I mean I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate you wandering over with your headlamp in there eyes but other then that your probably good to go.

The guy who appears friendly at the show in every one of those "celebrity" cases is the same guy you meet on the beach. There might be times that they would like to talk to you more than you them. As mikejd said, "they are just fisherman".

I asked Tommy at one of the shows a couple of years go if there was a way to build a directory of articles and videos. If I want to go back to someting I read a couple of years ago, it's a lotof work to figure out which edition it was in. Not sure he could do it unless they had some how coded them from the get go. Love the magazine and the guys who drive it.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, DooPA77 said:

If I see some of these surfcasting celebs (Zeno, Bill Wetzel, John Skinner, etc) on the beaches of Long Island should I say Hi or do they just prefer to be left alone?

Probably depends on the circumstances. If there is a blitz going on and your asking about the best knot to use, your probably gonna get a short curt answer. If hanging out on the beach waiting for a tide change they'd probably be willing to discuss the finer points of weight distribution on a pencil when using a teaser.

On 3/6/2018 at 7:07 AM, blackdogfish said:

Ah you're right...sorry.... inappropriate to use that kind of terminology regardless of my like or dislike.  My bad.  They are probably good guys.

What bugs me is the YouTuber attitude.  Get a go pro and film everything, the early morning ride, getting coffee, etc, etc...and edit in some loud music.  That approach that young people seem to favor of loudly broadcasting self-aggrandizing videos to the world is the exact opposite if what i like about tbe sport.  That's just me.  

I can understand your POV of why you don't like that, completely understood. But I was just making the point that they do know what they're doing, that's all. I agree with you on the annoying aspects of youtubers though. Especially all these clowns that are now Canal experts in the last 6-12 months, hilarious.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:51 AM, RudyH2O said:

I have watched some of the * videos on youtube and I just read Zeno Hromin's book Surf Fishing, Interviews with the experts. He does a great job. I learn a lot from him.

I did try to check out the * web site because I want a subscription, but I haven't been able to get the free preview to work. 

Just remember no amount of reading of books or anything can replace time on the water. I remember reading all those books back in the day and expecting to go slay lol.

when I got my GED I promised myself id never read another book in my life.