Cape trout stocking.....

Rate this topic

Sandbar1

Starts this week.

From Mass fish wildlife.....

Spring trout stocking — Close to 500,000 brook, brown, rainbow and tiger trout will be stocked this spring from MassWildlife’s five hatcheries located in Sandwich, Palmer, Belchertown, Sunderland, and Montague. These fish, coupled with the more than 65,000 fish stocked last fall, will provide some excellent fishing in the coming months. Stocking is scheduled to begin in the southeastern area of the state during the first full week of March with other regions of the state expected to follow soon after. Anglers can get daily stocking updates at Mass.gov/Trout.

2018 spring trout stocking stats:

Most of the trout will be over 12 inches

More than 40% of the trout will be over 14 inches

More than 51,000 brook trout will be over 12 inches

More than 45,000 brown trout will be over 12 inches

More than 200,000 rainbow trout will be over 14 inches

More than 1,200 brown trout will be over 18 inches

More than 500 brook trout will be over 15 inches

More than 2,500 tiger trout will be over 14 inches

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

3 hours ago, robc22 said:

Spring trout fishing.........Look forward to it every year........The state does an awesome job on stocking our local ponds.....

I'm looking forward to FW in general. This'll be my first FW fishing on the Cape since I've been a kid. Think I'm gonna try to target yellow perch first, for the table.  I'll fish trout too, but where I lived in NY, I was only about 30 min away from the W Br Delaware, and I can't really top that anyplace in the East. That's one thing I miss about being on the Cape.

Edited by patchyfog

It is the time of year when the stocking program especially here in Sandwich can be justified in doing and also a sad time for many here to not see its long time manager Craig Londowsky as part of the crew in doing the dispensing after he passed last year from a tick bite that gave him Lyme disease. Graig was instrumental in many of the phases of growing these trout from eggs in the hatchery to obtain some fine released trout hereabouts and also he was not a bad fishermen if I may say so myself. Craig was also instrumental in saving the the hatchery a few years back when the DFWL decided to close it down . He led the volunteers who became part of the voice as to why it needed to be saved, That was a time I really enjoyed working with him in another time. for a good cause .   

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

It is the time of year when the stocking program especially here in Sandwich can be justified in doing and also a sad time for many here to not see its long time manager Craig Londowsky as part of the crew in doing the dispensing after he passed last year from a tick bite that gave him Lyme disease. Graig was instrumental in many of the phases of growing these trout from eggs in the hatchery to obtain some fine released trout hereabouts and also he was not a bad fishermen if I may say so myself. Craig was also instrumental in saving the the hatchery a few years back when the DFWL decided to close it down . He led the volunteers who became part of the voice as to why it needed to be saved, That was a time I really enjoyed working with him in another time. for a good cause .   

Well said Sir!

6 hours ago, patchyfog said:

I'm looking forward to FW in general. This'll be my first FW fishing on the Cape since I've been a kid. Think I'm gonna try to target yellow perch first, for the table.  I'll fish trout too, but where I lived in NY, I was only about 30 min away from the W Br Delaware, and I can't really top that anyplace in the East. That's one thing I miss about being on the Cape.

Well if you haven't fished the cape FW in a while's here is a couple of links that might help..........

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/massachusetts-pond-maps-list-view

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/trout-stocking-report

I'm a upper cape guy but feel free to pm if you think I can help......:)

1 hour ago, robc22 said:

Well if you haven't fished the cape FW in a while's here is a couple of links that might help..........

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/massachusetts-pond-maps-list-view

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/trout-stocking-report

I'm a upper cape guy but feel free to pm if you think I can help......:)

Great links, thanks......

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

going to be testing out the new ultra light fenwick rod on these stockies. Want to get into some tiger trout this year. I've only caught one before. Anyone specifically try and target them? I'm under the impression they are a lucky catch as they go after the usual trout lures spoons, small jigs/stickbaits, etc. 

24 mins ago, macattack893 said:

going to be testing out the new ultra light fenwick rod on these stockies. Want to get into some tiger trout this year. I've only caught one before. Anyone specifically try and target them? I'm under the impression they are a lucky catch as they go after the usual trout lures spoons, small jigs/stickbaits, etc. 

Tigers are pretty much a lucky catch......I have only got a few.........all on metals although I got one on a nightcrawler..........

They are difficult to target but you can definitely use certain lures and techniques to greatly improve your chances. I usually average 5-10 per year with the biggest around 3 lbs..didn't get a weight as I wanted to get it back in the water. Much like trophy Brown trout they have tendencies that you can capitalize on.

IMG_0642.JPG