Fishnmaine

Braid or not to Braid

40 posts in this topic

Watched the videos on the FG again, different ways to tie it but clearly its slimmer than Uni to Uni, need to learn it.  It's got to be harder to tie in a rocking boat with the fish going nutty...:hooked:

The best video on tying the FG knot is by Salt Strong. Google "Quickest way to tie the FG knot" then look at their video on "Do you make this mistake tying the FG knot". The second video just reinforces pulling the braid tight prior to cutting the tag end of the leader.

I'll present an alternate terminal tackle set up.  FG is a great knot and my brother takes it up one notch by tying a Bimini Twist on his braid, but there's NFW I could tie either one of those fishing when fish were breaking around me, especially in low-light conditions in a rocking boat.  My "solution" is ending my braid with a snap swivel tied on with a Palomar Knot, a >95% breaking strength knot that's very easy to tie, don't even need to look at it.  Then as pre-trip prep, I put fluro leaders on all me lurey using a Rapala knot onto the lure and a swivel at the other end, also fastened with a Palomar.  With this setup I can quickly change lures and more importantly, if my line breaks I can get back in the water very quickly.

Posted (edited)

I agree that pre-tied leaders are easier and for me 90% of the time I use them. The only time I tie directly braid to the leader is when I want a longer leader that has to go through the guides. In some rocky areas and jetties I need a longer leader mainly to be able to grab it when it's difficult to get close to the fish. Also on very dark nights prevents me from reeling the swivel into the top guide. 

Edited by MichaelT

FG is a nice knot but not always easy to tie under challenging conditions. Ill sacrifice some knot strength for something that is quicker to tie. Either back to back uni if i i need a super long leader or the barrel swivel to clip for short leaders. 95% of the time the latter is fine. Palomars and even unis i can tie blind in a gale :cool:

Maybe this is a way for me to have better luck with braid.  If I had a 20 ft topshot, I could probably eliminate most of the downsides that I see with braid.

How does the FG knot go through the guides?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Maybe this is a way for me to have better luck with braid.  If I had a 20 ft topshot, I could probably eliminate most of the downsides that I see with braid.

Don't recommend 20ft leader topshot as it would be working thru multiple guides, can't be good on knot or guides.  Some may disagee. I tie my braid to mono/ flouro knot  5-6 ft + -up  as that is about my drop down distance to load the rod for casting plugs 9-10ft rod. Braid -knot- 5-6 ft mono- plug. Knot is outside of tip guide and rod loads properly. This works well casting plugs from shore or rocks. If you are lobbing macks from a boat with a baitcaster may not matter as much.

Edited by Livliner

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

You will hardly notice the knot going through the guides. I've made hundreds of cast during a night with the same knot going through most of the guides with no problem. 

The swivel thing is tempting, especially since you can get tiny barrel swivel that well exceed test of braid or flouro.  The Spro barrels are nearly microscopic, I just can't deal with them clicking through my guides.