Fishnmaine

Braid or not to Braid

40 posts in this topic

When Spectra first came out switched my cod rods over and shortly after that the rest of my reels. 30 pound and above I use Suffix 832 braid. 20 pound or less I use Spiderwire Stealth-Braid. For me I've found less line problems with the Spiderwire working better when casting light plugs or rubber especially when it is windy.  

This will actually be only my third year using braid, was fully against it because I’m stubborn and cheap lol and all my buddies and people online are like... dude try the braid lol now I am a believer, I still Fish mono when live baiting, I’ve found the braid twists up a lot when you’ve got a Mack swimming around with a float. It’ll take some getting use to and it does suck to have to re-spool cuz it does get pricey, but your able to downsize your gear and fish lighter and stronger line wise.

Posted (edited)

I'm all in on braid too, and agree with the Sufix 832 and PP Super Slick suggestions.  It's not sold locally so you don't see it mentioned frequently but in my experience Tufline XP even beats the excellent 832 and Super Slick.  Plus it's cheaper, yahoo!  Get good braid that's spooled properly and you'll never go back!  (Don't forget if you spool your own reels you can't tie braid to a bare metal spool - it will spin under pressure.  First apply a thin layer of mono or dacron or even piece of sticky foam or tape.)

Edited by mumichog

Another sufix guy here at least for the heavier surf gear. Ill stick with what gives me the least problems. I like power pro regular for lighter tackle applications.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:54 PM, stripedbassking said:

This will actually be only my third year using braid, was fully against it because I’m stubborn and cheap lol and all my buddies and people online are like... dude try the braid lol now I am a believer, I still Fish mono when live baiting, I’ve found the braid twists up a lot when you’ve got a Mack swimming around with a float. It’ll take some getting use to and it does suck to have to re-spool cuz it does get pricey, but your able to downsize your gear and fish lighter and stronger line wise.

I agree that mono is superior for live bait when using a float.   Braid definitely twists a lot in that application.  Other than that, it's all braid on my spinning gear.  I go light with 20# power pro and always use fluorocarbon leaders (even on my live bait rigs).   You have to learn some new knots with both braid and fluorocarbon - especially fluorcarbon.   I tie my leaders directly to the braid so it goes right through the rod guides.   I usually go with just a 48 inch leader.

10 mins ago, Topside2 said:

I agree that mono is superior for live bait when using a float.   Braid definitely twists a lot in that application.  Other than that, it's all braid on my spinning gear.  I go light with 20# power pro and always use fluorocarbon leaders (even on my live bait rigs).   You have to learn some new knots with both braid and fluorocarbon - especially fluorcarbon.   I tie my leaders directly to the braid so it goes right through the rod guides.   I usually go with just a 48 inch leader.

What do you like to use for braid to leader knot?

On 3/6/2018 at 8:54 PM, stripedbassking said:

Braid is more expensive to start but lasts 3-5 seasons if you reverse it after 2 seasons.  Heck I've left braid (original Fireline) on some reels for 6 or 8 years before it really went to pieces.

And if you want to save some $$ on braid then get Tuf-line XP (specifically).  It's priced like a basic braid ala PP and it is thin, tough, smooth and whips lures a mile.  It's better or at least as good as nearly any premium braid going.

48 mins ago, mumichog said:

the back to back Uni-Knot is easy and reliable

Seems to be the most common I’ve found, thanks

The only time I use mono anymore is on my boat chunking set up, mainly because I hate dealing with wind knots or birds nests in the dark of night with braid or straight fluorocarbon for my trout/panfish rod. Otherwise, sufix 832/PP super slick on everything else. I actually bought a 10lb braid made by F&S to try out (had a coupon) and I'm really impressed so far in freshwater.

9 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

What do you like to use for braid to leader knot?

FG knot is the strongest knot for this.

On 3/6/2018 at 11:15 PM, mumichog said:

First apply a thin layer of mono or dacron or even piece of sticky foam or tape.)

Cloth electrical tape is my "go to" bare spool prep, works like a charm...