Fishnmaine

Braid or not to Braid

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have fished with Mono line all my life on my spinning setup. And this year I do want to try some Braid. I don't like braid on my bait casters. But do want to try on my spinning setup. Now I'm a constant casting guy. Like to use soft baits allot. My new set up is a 7ft St Croix Tidemaster with a Penn 5000 Conflict II a really light setup. This reel is meant for Braid if I choose so. My question is how is braid in the wind? Ive read it doesn't do well in the wind when casting. Has anybody experienced this? I'm also going with 10ft of Floro as a lead line. 

I want really good Braid. Whats a good brand for this setup?

Thanks

Edited by Fishnmaine

Posted (edited)

I switched over to braid 20 years ago on my personal rods and have never looked back. Only mono I use is for top shots and the spinning gear on the charter boat. Tried switching those over 2 years ago but it was short lived. 6 drunks can really ball up some line in short order, when they aren't policing their slack.

As far as castabilty, wind or no wind, just the major diameter difference compaired pound to pound, you talking a lot less drag thru air (& water)

Edited by CDUX

Jeez I really love the power pro super slick.  It’s what I use on my light rod.....7/6 avid inshore with a stradic 4000.  I’ve had issues with braid in the past but this stuff is thinner, doesn’t seem to catch the wind as bad.  I mostly use that setup exclusively with soft plastics and light jigs. 

20 lb suffix 832 or fireline original.

Hard wind in your face could cause the line to go back on loose. Result is a wind knot. 

You'll need to learn a bit about managing the line. Worth it.

Posted (edited)

I know I will likely be the only one, but I can't stand braid on spinning reels.  I switched in 2006, then in 2011 and gave it one last shot in 2016.  

It definitely casts further than mono, but aside from that, I don't like it.  Cut fingers, wind knots, pulled hooks, the list goes on.  The lack of stretch is really tough on equipment, there is no room for error in your drag, leader, knots, split rings or hooks.  I never break leader with mono, but have broken 20lb a couple of times with braid and a fish close.  I used to fish in HI on a charter boat for big marlin, tuna, etc, my knots are fine.

Bent hooks?  See them a lot with braid, not so much with mono.  Same for split rings.  

I just don't see the advantage it offers the average fisherman.  For bottom fishing, it makes a huge difference, but for surfcasting from the beach or ledges?  Pack on 200 yards of fresh 20lb mono in the spring and don't look back!

Edited by Chiefer

Braid on everything, freshwater, icefishing, surfcasting, deadsticking, it doesn’t hold memory, superior cast ability, strength, feel, you can put more line on your reel, etc, etc...for the price I am really digging the J Braid, works well great price. 

What type of line floats more, mono or braid...You all have great info. Chiefer, I tend to agree allot of what you said.

55 mins ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

Braid on everything, freshwater, icefishing, surfcasting, deadsticking, it doesn’t hold memory, superior cast ability, strength, feel, you can put more line on your reel, etc, etc...for the price I am really digging the J Braid, works well great price. 

Couldn’t agree more.  All of my surf gear all of my freshwater gear....all braid.  I’m confident with it.  

For me it came down to convenience.  I tried 30 pound  Power Pro after having  to replace different brands of mono every four weeks or so.  The braid lasted a full season, saving me a bunch of trips to the bait shop in summer traffic.   I now have braid on every reel I own, and maybe I'm just used to it, but I have no problems and will never go back to mono. 

Switched conventional rods to braid years ago, but it took me until 4 years ago to give up my Stren on the spinning reels, using Suffix 832.  For the spinning rods I don't use breaking strength as a criteria in buying, now it's "line diameter" which means "is it big enough for my fat fingers to knot properly?"  I've settled on 30 lb braid which translates to the diameter of 8 lb mono, the smallest diameter I can comfortably tie knots in low light and bouncing seas while fish are breaking.

Another thing to "readjust" to is drag setting.  Once again, it's not so much a function of breaking strength with braid, but the "no stretch" feature you have to consider.  If you use a normal drag setting based on line breaking strength, you'll start seeing straightened hooks or hooks with fish lips left on them.  I've backed way off on my drag with the switch to braid.

Love braid.  Thinking of going with a couple rods with floro and mono.  Talked to a guy at work he said uses mono cuz it stands up better when rolling around in the bed of his truck. WTF.  Thats what I said.  Chiefer is right about the draw backs.  I have traded to stronger hooks and heavier split rings on my plugs and I use hockey tape for my pinky fingers because those are the ones that get cut.  Getting fish to the boat I always loosen the drag when they get close or clear of obstructions.

I use 40lb power pro a lot. Mostly because I use it on reels I bring to the Canal and when it gets low on the spool I use it on my frogging set up or my heavy pike rod.  It last forever and then later you can reverse it.  I have line on some reels for 5 yrs and still have no problem using it.  It defineitly is a learning curve.  I will say if I get a 4-5lb bass in the weeds or stick ups, either my boat is going to her or the tree is coming to me.  my .02

The sensitivity alone makes it worth it for me. I was amazed at how much more I could feel with braid when I switched. I always use a mono or floro leader. It acts like a shock absorber and gives u something to grab onto so you don’t get cut by the braid. Make sure you don’t over fill, that will cause wind knots. And take a few light casts with a fresh spool to kinda break it in. Like anything, use it for a while and you’ll get to understand it. With my drag set, proper hardware on my plugs, and a leader, I rarely have failures 

Forgot if you put line on yourself you want it packed tight.  Us a lot of tension/pressure

big fan of Suffix 382 and a fg knot to 40 lb fluro leader to a breakaway clip and an sp minnow or sluggo. 

I do a lot of deep jigging and braid has revolutionized that whole sensitivity thing. Could never go back to mono for jigging, feels like a rubber band.

I can see Chiefer's point on using mono for general beach fishing and surf casting though. Mono is more forgiving and braid is a learning curve.

-bd