Matt Caraco

Need some input on st.croix rods

35 posts in this topic

DON'T buy the 3/4-4 to throw 4 oz jigs. The 2-6 Mojo will do everything that you want the rod for, medium plugs, and heavier jigs.

1 hour ago, Matt Caraco said:

Thanks guys looks like the 10’6 3/4-4 is the rod I’m looking for, as far as the 11’ers go, the avid vs the mojo, if I’m tossing mostly 2.5-3oz pencils and poppers, and 4oz buck tails and jigs, which route should I go ? I realize one rods not going to do both perfectly but any input is appreciated.

thanks, Matt 

1 hour ago, Gwiz said:

If your going to jig. Get heavier rod.

Right you are. 11ft 3-8 for jigging.

This gets to the point a good plugging rod isn't necessarily a great choice as a jigging rod and vice versa. I'd rather the 11ft for jigging and the 10'6 2-6 for top waters and swimmers.

5 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

DON'T buy the 3/4-4 to throw 4 oz jigs. The 2-6 Mojo will do everything that you want the rod for, medium plugs, and heavier jigs.

What DJ said. I fish both the 3/4-4 and the 2-6 exclusively and they serve me well.

There are better performing rods for the money.  I bought mine for the warranty.  St.croix is a bit behind on surf rods when compare to what's available on the market now.

Just to clarify, I’m buying 2 rods for differnt purposes, the 10’6 3/4-4 will NOT be a canal rod, will be my rod I toss eels with and fish my local surf/cape cod beaches and what not.  I’m looking for a separate rod for the canal I’m intrigued by the 11’ 3-8 mojo and avid, my question is as far as the 11’ers go is which one do people like better and for what purpose and why. I’m leaning towards getting the 10’6 3/4-4 for more every night local use and pick up the 2-6 top section because why not even though I feel the 2-6 is a bit on the lighter side for what I am looking for, for the canal. No way would I ever use the 3/4-4 in the canal.

thanks for the reply’s, Matt 

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

There are better performing rods for the money.  I bought mine for the warranty.  St.croix is a bit behind on surf rods when compare to what's available on the market now.

I agree with you Bob if I was paying retail, but for the deal I’m getting it’s hard to beat. 

Posted (edited)

8 mins ago, Matt Caraco said:

Just to clarify, I’m buying 2 rods for differnt purposes, the 10’6 3/4-4 will NOT be a canal rod, will be my rod I toss eels with and fish my local surf/cape cod beaches and what not.  I’m looking for a separate rod for the canal I’m intrigued by the 11’ 3-8 mojo and avid, my question is as far as the 11’ers go is which one do people like better and for what purpose and why. I’m leaning towards getting the 10’6 3/4-4 for more every night local use and pick up the 2-6 top section because why not even though I feel the 2-6 is a bit on the lighter side for what I am looking for, for the canal. No way would I ever use the 3/4-4 in the canal.

thanks for the reply’s, Matt 

To clarify I don't think the 2-6 is to light for the canal at all.

Its actually a pretty good canal rod and can handle a range of plugs and jigs. Last year I fished the canal 5 nights a week the entire season and would not have felt undegunned brining only the 2-6 mojo if I felt like traveling light.

In fact I also used the 10'6" 3/4-4 in the canal with absolutely no problem. I fished several morning tides where I primarily used it to throw the smaller sized guppy pencils. It absolutely did its job and I personally landed fish up to 25lb without a problem.

A buddy was fishing the canal during one of the blitzes. He broke his rod and I had my 3/4-4 with me as a backup. Loaned it to him and he landed a 51" bass, probably a mid 40lb fish. He said the rod handled the fish fine, even in heavy current.

No problems with either 10'6" mojo.

Edited by Sandbar1

3/4 to 4 oz is fine in canal for light jigging and most plugging that i do. As others have mentioned, there are better jigging options out there > 2.5 oz. In a pinch ive jigged up to 3.5 oz on a 3/4 to 4 oz when i didnt have my hvy jigging rod with me. i just wouldnt make a habit of it. :cool:

The mojo 2-6 is a good canal rod, I've thrown 5 oz jigs no problem. It has plenty of backbone to turn fish against the current.

3/4-4 mojo is good for anywhere as long as you are using it for what it was made to do. Throw plugs.

7 hours ago, iputmyhoursin said:

The mojo 2-6 is a good canal rod, I've thrown 5 oz jigs no problem. It has plenty of backbone to turn fish against the current.

^^^ This.

I used the 11 ft 3-8 Avid almost exclusively last year.  Landed a good number of fish over 40".   It's not the best rod to jig with but it did have enough backbone to throw heavier jigs with enough feel for the bottom.  The fast action is definitely different feel than med action mojo.  It is really good at distance and capable of launching some heavier top water plugs. I threw eels with it.  The fast action also lets it works with lighter stuff down to 1.5 oz.  If I were getting two rods, I would get the Avid 11' 3-8 oz for everything except jigging.  

Is there any way I could buy a 2-6 top section if I were to buy a 3/4-4 10’6 mojo? I looked it up real quick and it says I need the serial numbers from a 10’6 2-6 to get one.