Matt Caraco

Need some input on st.croix rods

35 posts in this topic

Okay guys, I haven’t really been on this website in close to a year or very active on the site in probably about 2 years and big things have happened since, I’ve reacently been put into a position where me and my buddy run a tackle department and being a st.croix dealer I get an amazing deal on the rods (they want us to fish them and promote them and move their product) which is great.  The last two years surf fishing has consumed my life and about the last time was active on this website I believe I only had a handful of schoolie bass under my belt and a couple rods. Now I have a 2 bass over 30 under my belt and am quite serious.  I fish a 9’6 tsunami airwave elite 3/4-3 and a 10’6 tiralejo 1-3.5 and had a rain shadow su1386 for the canal but my buddy broke it so (me finally getting to the point) I need a stick for the ditch that’s decent all around and would like something new for tossing eels and plugs in my local waters where I put in most my time in, I was thinking of a mojo 11’ 3-8 for the ditch and a 10’6 3/4-4 mojo for eels and plugs, would be getting the two rods for under 300, really looking for some input, got the avids in the shop Thursday and thier beautiful and would make a good plugging rod but not something I could toss eels with locally in the 9 or 10ft but for the canal as far as the avid series go, didn’t get any 11fters in and don’t know exact how they would compare to the 11’ mojo, you may ask why I didnt mention the 10’6 2-6oz for the canal, imo It seems light and even though its what many use down there, It just seems light to me and especially since I’m going to be tossing jigs I’m leaning towards the 3-8 11fter which feels like a true 2-5, simular rating to my old rain shadow.  I fish locally in the south shore area almost strictly at night.  Any input helps 

thanks, Matt 

I have several St. Croix rods.  They are durable, affordable and cast well.  I did get a big Mojo Surf to throw big wood and bucktails, and it works.  I find myself using an St. Croix Avid 9'6" 3/4 to 3oz, similar to your Tiralejo, 90% of the time because it throws everything under the 3oz range well and, unlike the 11' Mojo, I don't feel like I worked out at the gym after an hour of casting.  I like the Shimano rods offered over the past decade, but you can't go wrong with a St. Croix.  I'm not a canal rat, but I can see the advantages in using a big stick in a big current and against big fish.  

One of the perennial complaints about St. Croix rods used to be, the reel seats coming loose. It was mainly due to their use of cardboard to build up a reel seat bushing. But I've been told that they resolved that issue. I've had Mojos, Tidemasters, and an older Ben Doerr surf model. They're great blanks. Sometimes, the guides and guide layout is a bit subpar.

I believe they fixed the issue with the reel seats. At least I've never had a problem with my 10'6 mojo.

The mojo is a good rod. I think the 11 ft 3-8 would make a great canal jigging rod. Then i'd pick up the 10'6'' 2-6 rod for throwing plugs in the ditch.

The great thing with the 10'6" models is that the rod but can take both the 2-6 and 3/4 -4 tip sections. You can buy replacement tips online.

Get the 2-6 tip and for $35 extra you can have the 3/4- 4 tip from the St Croix website.

Basically you get your 3-8 for jigging, 2-6 for plugging the canal and 3/4 -4 for light plugging /eeling, all for the price of two rods (discounted) +$35.

That's a great deal right there.

Thanks guys for the input, couple of questions,

Capt. turtle, I  Believe all the avid series makes in the 9’6 is the MH 2-6oz not sure if the discontinued the 3/4-4 but that sounds like a nice plugging rod, unless you’re mixing up the avid and the mojo, the only thing is the avids are all fast action I believe which is why I’m opting towards the 10’6 moderate action mojo in the 3/4-4oz hopeing I.T could sling eels a bit better than my airwave and tiralejo.  

Sandbar, I’ve heard people talking about this I’m going to do some more research and currently have both rods in stock so that’s definitely something I’m interested in. 

Does anyone have the 10’6 3/4-4 and could give me some info on how I.T throws, defiantly not a rod I’d be throwing 4oz plugs with just from picking it up, but what’s It throw well and how would it do tossing eels, and is the 11’ avid 3-8 much better fir the canal compared to the mojo of the same specs ?

Thanks once again guys !!

-Matt 

10'6" 3/4-4 throws nice. Its sweet spot seems to be between 1 1/2 and 2 3/4 oz. Its action is soft enough to cast eels and work pencils but you can put some power into casting plugs. I love it for working superstrikes and Guppy pencils. Also one of my go to eeling rods.

A buddy used my 3/4 - 4 to land a 51 inch bass out of the canal this summer, it also handled a dozen or so bass between 25 and 30 lb. It actually has some nice power behind it.

90% of my rods are St Croix. From ultralight trout Fishing, to freshwater frogging and spinning, to 10' surf fishing. I abused my Mojo Surf for two seasons so far with zero issues. I've used triumphs for fresh and salt with zero problems. I had the 10'6" moderate fast 3/4-4, it was not bad but it was just a bit too loose for my liking. However it absolutely launched Polaris poppers and little neck swimmers better than my med-heavy/fast 10' does. I can't fault them. The only reason I may not use it this year is because I picked up a one piece Lamiglas GSB. But it'll definitely work as a back up.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

One of the perennial complaints about St. Croix rods used to be, the reel seats coming loose. It was mainly due to their use of cardboard to build up a reel seat bushing. But I've been told that they resolved that issue. I've had Mojos, Tidemasters, and an older Ben Doerr surf model. They're great blanks. Sometimes, the guides and guide layout is a bit subpar.

After 2 outings w/ the St Croix rod I emailed them :

“we know the issue with the Fugi reel seat for some time put some Teflon Plummer tape to hold / grip the  reel. You should be fine “. No that - send the rod back ( we pay shipping ) for an exchange . Lol 

Edited by Hook I

30 mins ago, Hook I said:

After 2 outings w/ the St Croix rod I emailed them :

“we know the issue with the Fugi reel seat for some time put some Teflon Plummer tape to hold / grip the  reel. You should be fine “. No that - send the rod back ( we pay shipping ) for an exchange . Lol 

If I understand correctly they suggested a cheep fix rather than offering to replace a defective product. Now that I don't like.

I've never had a problem with my mojo's but if I do and its not my fault I expect more than "just tape it".

48 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

If I understand correctly they suggested a cheep fix rather than offering to replace a defective product. Now that I don't like.

I've never had a problem with my mojo's but if I do and its not my fault I expect more than "just tape it".

I Know one piece rods are expensive for shipping but ... 

17 hours ago, BrianBM said:

^^^ demanding customers get better service. 

Brian is a stinking rod & I gave it away . 

Thanks guys looks like the 10’6 3/4-4 is the rod I’m looking for, as far as the 11’ers go, the avid vs the mojo, if I’m tossing mostly 2.5-3oz pencils and poppers, and 4oz buck tails and jigs, which route should I go ? I realize one rods not going to do both perfectly but any input is appreciated.

thanks, Matt