Hogy Pro Tails

Rate this topic

HighEndHooker

Just opened a pack of Hogy Pro Tail paddle tails that I got over the winter, and I was pumped because the are pre-rigged with the barbarian hooks, 2oz, and black. Well, the tail won’t paddle, at all. First cast, I thought it felt weird, second cast i decided I couldn’t feel the tail wobbling. When I got it to my feet I did a figure 8 and it was just gliding through the water. I was in a pretty slow moving river out back, but the water was still moving a little. Do I have a $60 pack of useless paddle tails? It’s a shame because I love every other Hogy product I’ve ever tried

What makes them so durable is their thick rubber.  Unfortunately this translates into poor paddle performance, imo.  If you burn them in or fish them if fast current, they do alright.  I don't really like them, personally.  

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

This the one?  If it doesn't swim like the video return it.

Yeah that’s the one. It doesn’t paddle at all, it’s stiff as a board. I bought them through the Hogy website too so it won’t even be worth it to return them with shipping. I might try to shave some plastic off the tail instead to try to get some action out of it.

55 mins ago, HighEndHooker said:

Yeah that’s the one. It doesn’t paddle at all, it’s stiff as a board. I bought them through the Hogy website too so it won’t even be worth it to return them with shipping. I might try to shave some plastic off the tail instead to try to get some action out of it.

What's the water temp you're testing it out in? 

I’ll try them again in faster water, but it swam more like a needle than a paddle tail lol. I was swimming it slow like I would a tsunami or similar, trying to keep it in the channel. It was a warm water discharge around 50 I believe

Edited by HighEndHooker

I used the Hogy White 3oz paddle tail swimmer, the week before Christmas & caught bass all day with the same swimmer.

Very durable and the bass loved it. First to hook up on the charter. Used a slow and fast retrieve, worked with both.

Have yet to really try them in the surf, but great off the boat!!