New Mako Regs boys

Rate this topic

Markushook

• 4 weeks later...

My last shark of 2017 was an 84" male Mako. I (we) caught it in the second week of October, and i'm still eating shark steaks. I've been shark fishing in the NY-NJ area on and off for over 40 years and the majority of Mako's I've caught have been in the 85-150lb class. Maybe, and I mean maybe 8 of those  50 Makos would now be legal. Hopefully Threshers will be able to fill the shark steak void, cause I don't imagine I'll be eating fresh Mako, any time soon.Look at the tournament landings over the last 40 years and you'll understand the fine mess we've gotten ourselves into! ollie. Between the new length, and circle hook regulation it can only do good.  

On 3/2/2018 at 1:49 PM, Markushook said:

What do you think? Good/Bad?

Seems like a big jump to me and of course we are now targeting breeders.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/bulletin/emergency-regulations-address-overfishing-north-atlantic-shortfin-mako-sharks

Damn...now that makes things a bit dangerous.....No?

It was easy before....you wouldn't really want to keep any mako under 5 feet...and 4 feet was easy to guestimate.

And a mako that size is easily handled.

NOw a 7 footer is a different story....and ya kinda gotta get a tape on it before end game.....not really my idea of a good time.

Even sliding a tap on the leader and getting it to the tail is gonna be tricky.....And depending on the temperment of the shark.  People could get hurt.  It ain a blue shark....it's a friggin mako

I've also had makos sit tail down next to the boat......so.we supposed to lip gaff or tail it.....and bring it on board for a measure? LMAO.... (((biggest **** that in history of **** thats!))))

then release it if an inch short?

I always thought the 1st rule of dealing with makos.....never bring a live mako on the boat.  Same with swordfish.

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

On 4/2/2018 at 10:09 AM, scoobydoo said:

Damn...now that makes things a bit dangerous.....No?

It was easy before....you wouldn't really want to keep any mako under 5 feet...and 4 feet was easy to guestimate.

And a mako that size is easily handled.

NOw a 7 footer is a different story....and ya kinda gotta get a tape on it before end game.....not really my idea of a good time.

Even sliding a tap on the leader and getting it to the tail is gonna be tricky.....And depending on the temperment of the shark.  People could get hurt.  It ain a blue shark....it's a friggin mako

I've also had makos sit tail down next to the boat......so.we supposed to lip gaff or tail it.....and bring it on board for a measure? LMAO.... (((biggest **** that in history of **** thats!))))

then release it if an inch short?

I always thought the 1st rule of dealing with makos.....never bring a live mako on the boat.  Same with swordfish.

very dangerous indeed! 

I can only remember 2 makos we've caught over 84". Most 60-72. Deff released more then I've killed

I think they should have gone 6' years ago... but an 83" Mako is a shark that you most certainly don't want to be anywhere near no matter how tired it is, unless you have subdued it with a couple shots of lead in the head, and even then I'm on full defense unless it is gutted and has a bucket tied on it's head.  Measure it up close and personal with a tape?  I don't think so, and if you guess wrong by an inch you just tossed $10,000 over the transom.  Nope, I actually believe that this is the beginning of the end for shark fishing.  You keep it 83" for a couple years and most will not bother trying anymore, and then there will be much less pushback when they lock it down.  We follow the rules we set, the rest of the world does not and we get to pick up the check... that's what happened here again.  In the meantime, the Threshers will take a whoopin and they will shut them down too.... and they do not taste half as good IMHO anyway.

Edited by fmtuna

We talking about a fish that doesn't even reach maturity until it's about 8-9 feet long.  Every one of those legal 4.5 footers is a pup in reality.  It's embarrassing when you see photos of those little mako's taken in my opinion.

Sharks worldwide are really effed.  More and more marina's are going shark free these days.  And yes, I agree it's the beginning of the end for shark fishing.  The real damage is being done by long liners and finners, but as usual recs take the brunt of the impact.

Edited by bido
"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"