Wooly bugger / Favorite way to fish it?

ccb

If I'm on a floating tip, usually with a small beadhead and some lead wraps. With a sink tip, usually just a beadhead to retain a slight jigging action. Honestly, with things like the wooly bugger, I've found that I've caught fish on nearly every type of retrieve... during the more active days, I'll do short 3 inch strips, if it's slower, I'll dead drift it in a seam between fast and slow water.

It also depends on what I'm trying to imitate as well. Sometimes I just orange/brown cone head buggers on the rockier areas to imitate a craw of sorts, so that would entail a craw-hop/jigging motion.

They're really one of those flies that can do it all.

Almost always across and down-current and mend the line so it doesn't swing too much faster than the current.  I find most hits are when it's past 45 degrees downstream and quite often when it's straight down from me.  At the most chain eyes but I prefer unweighted, and I rarely fish them with heavy weight just 'cause I don't like casting them.  Color?  Olive with black hackle/ black marabou.

"If you think fly fishermen are strange, try having a conversation with a mushroom picker."

John Gierach

Most times I use it like a streamer.   Cast out and strip.   The only time I don't is with small ones.  I tie some on a size 16 4 XL hook.  These I fish like a nymph or as a dropper under a larger dry or a popper if I'm fishing for pan fish.  I use bead heads to weight them.  Can't remember the last time I tied an unweighted one.   My most effective colors have been white, pearl braid body over fluorescent orange thread, white marabou tail and hackle with a gold bead head.  The other is brown and orange.   Burnt Orange marabou tail, copper sparkle or crystal chenille body, brown hackle, copper bead head.  I didn't tie these  but the pictures are better.  I also I carry a couple of the second fly in black and olive.

wr_demon.jpg

speziochillismall2.jpg

Agree with all the above.  When I tie a Wooly, I mostly use a tungsten bead to give it a little weight to get it below the surface and give it a slight "Jig" action as I strip it back.  I tie black on black, olive with black "trim", rust, and white, with cone heads, tungsten beads, and rarely brass beads.

Was using one yesterday on my first pond fishing trip.  Brass bead head in black on a size 8 streamer hook.  About a 16 inch pickerel  and 3 fat bluegills. I always cast, give it a second to sink and slow strips of about 12 inches.  Almost like a mini Clouser Minnow.

On 2/26/2018 at 0:23 PM, Buckscorider said:

I was catching steelies on one a few years ago.

Cast 3/4 upstream then fast twitches as it swung. 

I find that doing this generates a lot of slack so I have to do a fast retrieve. Are you pulling in slack and THEN doing a fast twitch? Or just fast twitches all around?

8 hours ago, micros said:

I find that doing this generates a lot of slack so I have to do a fast retrieve. Are you pulling in slack and THEN doing a fast twitch? Or just fast twitches all around?

Im a righty, cast out, mend then grab the line with left hand and do very fast short twitches. Hope that explains it. 

Im not an expert and the experts I fish with were kinda laughing at me. Til I was catching more.

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

Thanks for the reminder I have to tie some up for my buddy for opening day weekend. I usually tie em olive with black heckle and marabou come or bead some non lead wire and a few unweighted but if it's that slow I'd probably switch to a Brahma bugger

Not quite related but....it is. Every once in a while I will find floating jig heads. I know, bear with me. Like your standard lead jig head but foam, I guess it is a thing in the crappie / walleye crowd. They make a great hook for a bugger. The round shaped head is great.  It floats but the body of the fly is subsurface. Fishes much quieter than a popper or sneaky Pete type head. Great for dead drifts in clear water on my local smallie rivers. That’s my favorite way to fish woolly buggers.

Depending on water ur fishing I prefer a Teeny Line in fast riffs , cast down n across mend watch for strikes on the turn if not I strip back with occasional wounded minnow drop backs n hang on sometimes they smash it on this retrieve . I prefer T 130 on a 5/6 weight  9' rod . The longer Rod permits unto,keep more line off water & permits easy mends to add depth and let fly maintain proper speed going downstream . I like to keep my line tight in case of strikes in any position .

if more depth is required I keep an assortment of lead core lengths that I can loop into line / leader to add depth to fly . 

Im an underwater fly guy & concentrate on riffs and PW , I seldom nymph or dry unless forced into it on a given day !