Chrome Crazy!

Rate this topic

outtasight

Every winter I think most of us go through a craze, whether it be collecting a certain plug/builder or making a certain style lure or jig for the coming season. This off season I've gone chrome crazy!!!! I had some lures done in Sept and after seeing the process I was amazed, possibilities are almost endless! I'm thinking those bright full moon nights or even just on a cloudy overcast day these things are gonna shine! Pun intended! lol..... So after giving one away as a gift and some trades I decided to sell there rest and invest into a hydrochrome system. Should be here this week! Just deciding what plugs to chrome first. So far I've got a tattoo deep diver and some pencils I'm gonna give a go. If anyone is interested in this I can put up a new thread showing the process. Lemme know.

First pic is a Surf Warrior Customs pencil. You guys might know him here as IslandSurf. The second is a chrome ss bottle I gave a red mouth, chin and eyes. Tell me what you think of that one, be honest I can take it lol. 

Chrome pencil.jpg

P2251101.JPG

Edited by outtasight

17 mins ago, rrocco said:

Very nice! Would love to see the process.The paint on the bottle would look sweet if you epoxied over plug.Looks too flat as is. Did you plan on using them with the chrome as the outer coat or epoxy/clearing over?

Thank you.....I thought the same as well, paint is too dull to compete with the chrome. I'm torn on what to do for the next clear coat. Epoxy or try the 2k clear that is coming in my setup. I don't have a drying wheel at the moment but could and should put one together. The 2k is what the chromes have over them now and they seem very durable.

Nice, I like the chrome for poppers. I'm going to be doing both wood and plastic. All of these systems come with some type of 2k clear for the base and top coat. I'm going to try both that and epoxy. Would you happen to know of any epoxy that can be sprayed thru a gun? I've also found different base coat products that are pricey but claim better adhesion and durability. 

Hmm didn't think giving a shout out would land me a comment like that but hey everyone's entitled to an opinion. I will start a new thread when I get finished with what I'm working on. I didn't think doing a "repaint" would offend anyone.

To those who were interested in seeing this done. I have been playing around with laying this base coat on. Any and I mean any imperfection will be magnified by the reflection of the chrome so the plug has to be sanded down to pull out even the tiniest nicks.... So far I've been trying to find the best gun suited for spraying this size project. This 2k is not cheap! Doing this used Tattoo deep diving danny so I had to pull all of the hook marks out and sand down to 3000 grit. Looking like I'm gonna have to re shoot it cause one side is just a little rough..... Picked up a bunch of turned bodies today so when I get them all sealed sanded and ready to go I'll start my new thread. Danny's, pencils, darters, a40's, conrad's and even a cowboy jr, gonna be fun!

Here's a before shot. Next time you see her she'll be showroom finish shinny!

P3041263.JPG

P3041260.JPG