Minor miracle

Rate this topic

flyrad10

Amidst the basically urbanized land and creeks of Great South Bay around Montauk Highway on Long Island, which has been basically raped by home building, construction of canals by bulk-heading, shopping malls, tidal dams culverts, channelization, overfishing, marinas and fast food restaurants, there is still a species of fish tenaciously holding on to a behavior that may have evolved a million years ago, the white perch, Morone americana. These little beauties are getting ready to spawn right now in fresh water creeks which there are in great abundance on Great South Bay. Beside the fact that they are fun to catch on light fly rods after a long winter which yet drags on, they are excellent eating, and have the additional delicious gift of two plump egg sacs After five years and with the help of an unknown angelic fisherman who was there just watching but gave me directions on where to cast, what color grass shrimp imitation to use and a piece of six pound fluorocarbon leader, I finally caught a couple. Needless to say this came with a price. I accidentally left my rod on the car roof, 8ft eagle claw glass 5/6 and a Medalist 1498, which fell off about a mile later and mangled the Medalist bending the frame and breaking the foot welds on the posts. Oh well back at it again tomorrow.

Rod always goes in the car first. Learned the hard way as well. 9 ft. Orvis Trident and a Bauer reel. Drove away, heard it slide off the roof, pulled over but the car behind me ran right over it. Splintered the rod and mangled the reel. First and last time I did that.