Prepping a small tin boat questions

Rate this topic

Southcoastphil

I'm planning to finally start using a lil tin boat again, after too many years of too-little use, so I am seeking your guidance.

First, descriptions of the boat, usage, trailer and motor:

Boat is a 16' AlumaCraft (yes, "The Queen of the Waterways"!) that's about 50 years old.  It was my Dad's and we used it extensively for FW fishing in Maine lakes for many decades before he passed away some 20+ years ago.  It's still in great shape, no leaks at all when I last used it about five years ago.  Not any type of VEE hull, since it was built for (and used in) relatively calm conditions.  (not to worry, I have ZERO plans to use it in anything less than very-near-shore and very-calm conditions)

Trailer is an E-Z Load that I purchased about ten years ago.  Very light use since then, kept the wheel bearings cleaned and greased, rinsed in fresh water after the two or three times that it was in the salt.  Always stored with tires off the ground.

Motor is an old Envinrude 10HP 2-stroke, which still runs great.  No corrosion.

Planned usage:

Primarily as an inshore taxi to get us to some sandbars off the river mouths in BBay and to some other spots that I no longer care to hike to.  If its feasible to safely outfit it for night-time return taxi trips from said locations, I'd consider that as well.

Once in a while, use it in and around Dartmouth (home), New Bedford, Westport for nice-day banging around, casting to blues, etc.  

Planned launch locations are all within 30-40 miles of home.

Now, some questions for you.

Boat:

1.  Needs new (wooden, I'm thinking) inner and outer transom plates for the motor.  I plan to use marine grade plywood, probably 3/4", on both sides.  

Should I use something other than marine grade ply?

Can I use 3/4" on the inside and perhaps 1/2" on the outside, or vice versa?  (I have no plans to get a bigger motor.)

How should I treat/seal that ply, if at all?

2.  I'm aware of galvanic corrosion, so I will use either aluminum screws or I'll isolate SS screws with rubber washers/silicone/etc. when attaching the transom plates.  Is there a better solution that I don't know about?

3. Other than rinsing it with freshwater, is there anything else I should be aware of for maintenance of the boat?

Trailer:

1.  Should I address the wheel bearings any differently than I have in the past?

2.  All of the lights and connectors still work fine.  How do I keep them working fine, given that they will soon be subject to salt water?  Will something like WD40 suffice to minimize corrosion or should I use dielectric grease?

Motor:

1.  Given that it's old, what's the best way to keep it running, in terms of both the engine and what I will call the "chassis/drive train"?  

2.  If I were to add a trolling motor, how much thrust should I consider getting, given that the trolling motor (IF I get one) will be used infrequently to keep the boat properly positioned for casting toward shoals, jetties and rock piles in calm water?

Boat Lights:

1. There are many great instructional programs around here re small boat safety, and I plan to participate in same very soon.

Given that boat lights will be used infrequently, I'd prefer to not have to lug a big battery aboard just to  power the required fore and aft lights.  Can you recommend any good lights that do not require a big 12v to power?  

If I do end up getting a trolling motor, then how would I split the battery power between the trolling motor and lights?

Thanks in advance for reading my very long list of questions as well as for your insights.

Tight lines,

Phil

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher