albacized

Sudbury Res Trail

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, golden said:

Albie - I've used to fish that canal often, a good couple of decades ago.

Even longer than that, the very first time I tried, near rt 30 but inside the side towards marlboro, and not rt 9, we were casting crawlers at a downed tree in the middle.  Probably only 10 ft across.  After about 10 kivers, I hooked a LMB - biggest I've ever seen, even bigger than the fish I had in okeechobee.  I was well over 8lbs, maybe over 10.  Regardless, we were messing around, and I was tossing light weight.  AND my drag was frozen.  A couple jumps and it snapped my line.  I'll never forget that day.

But on trips following that, we caught many nice fish from above the dam, and down along the canal, to 5-6 lbs.  Had to work for them, but most came on rubber worms, occasional spinnerbaits.

One interesting note, a friend of mine caught a 22" rainbow in there - assumed it made it all the way from the chu.

I think in those days, it was off limits, but we fished it anyways.  Not sure now.

I have caught hundreds of rainbows out of there over the years. Crawfish are king over there for big bass thou almost under any rock you kick over. 

100s?  This is in Southborough, and not stocked - so you're saying all those bows came from the chu?

Yes as well as people throwing them in there.I have also caught LLs in there as well. 

2 hours ago, sandbars said:

Yes as well as people throwing them in there.I have also caught LLs in there as well. 

cmonison-gtfoh-wit-that-bullshit-cmon-son-that-edlover-shit-1907902.png

11 mins ago, HanoverStriper said:

cmonison-gtfoh-wit-that-bullshit-cmon-son-that-edlover-shit-1907902.png

Think I'm getting to old but have no idea what your saying.

I live in westborough. Fished Sudbury Res since the 1980’s. I have never seen a trout there, but I typically use large crawfish for trophy SMB & LMB

Nice place, but not as good as Chu. 

2 hours ago, Reed422 said:

I caught a 6ft bullshark out of there on light tackle.

Thats about average, biggest Ive heard is 10ft

1 hour ago, yemista said:

Thats about average, biggest Ive heard is 10ft

Several years ago, along that tiny causeway on Acre Bridge Road, there was a filleted rack from 40+ inch striper. While it was obvious that some one caught it else where and chucked the rack there, I probably was asked a half dozen times if 'I' caught the fish at that spot (I was fishing about 10' to the right of it and it was about 3-4 feet away from shore. But then again, that is a weekend warrior spot and I should have known better)

Well, I only know of the one rainbow caught from the canal there; but I recall a hatchery truck broke down once on the causeway heading to marlboro.