albacized

Sudbury Res Trail

25 posts in this topic

So...I live in Framingham, work in Marlboro and I usually take the back roads to work (which takes me through a chunk of southboro via rt 30. And on this ride, I go past a canal system that is labeled the Sudbury Reservoir Trail...I've fished the res itself numerous times but never this canal...it encompasses several miles, with a few entry points to the trail...anyone here try it out who could offer a review?

I tried to fish the sudbury reservoir one day and found no shore access due to it being so developed. If this trail is how you access the water, I would be curious to know as well.

The res itself has a few acceas points...but not too many, and they are usually under heavy pressure, especially on weekends. And don't forget, it has and open and close date (same dates as Wachusett Res)...but anyway. I was more so referring to the canal system at points that are at least several miles from the res itself 

I live in Ashland and have fished the resevoir for many years. The only place i've fished the "canal" area, is down near Parkerville and Deerfoot Rd area. Ive had a few very small fish there, but never fished the upper part heading towards Westboro/Northboro. I do know that it is pretty shallow, and probably not the best fishing up there. It looks as though access gets difficult too.

Posted (edited)

If your talking the area from southboro towards northboro the fishing was very good back in the day when they released water from the old tunnel. The further up the better at that time for the fattest pickerel I've ever seen(incredible) . So if you went under 495 i think it was your first right ward rd or something like that dead end rd with a logging gate there where you could park and walk in. Now you would more then likely be into some small perch and bass until you get behind fay school. There it widens out and your chance at getting bigger fish. Id start there and work back towards res. The res itself has a lot of good access point's that lead to some great fishing spots someday take the back way home to the ham. The perch spawn at res might be one of the best around.  

Edited by sandbars

50 plus years ago we used to have unbelievable catches of hard hitting white perch at the horse shoe.

The Meserve family lived just up a hill close by and a couple of the boys and I fished that area a lot.

2 hours ago, Skitter said:

50 plus years ago we used to have unbelievable catches of hard hitting white perch at the horse shoe.

The Meserve family lived just up a hill close by and a couple of the boys and I fished that area a lot.

Wasn't even that long ago where wp fishing was still excellent. Many res. or impoundments are still chalk full of them.

They have drained the canal and upper sections several times in the last 10 years. Prior to that there was nice bass, Pike, perch, sucker and bullhead. 

The res is my spot live right down the street! theres fish in there but not this time of year . Deerfoot is a great spot also lots of big bass and pike. 11lber above the waterfall last year!

Have they ever found out who puts up the American flag on the little island in the reservoir on the westbound side of Rt. 9 in Southborough?

11 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Have they ever found out who puts up the American flag on the little island in the reservoir on the westbound side of Rt. 9 in Southborough?

Many moons ago someone used to put a flag on the small island that is visible from rt 30 too.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:17 PM, DAQ said:

Many moons ago someone used to put a flag on the small island that is visible from rt 30 too.

great spot really deep....

Albie - I've used to fish that canal often, a good couple of decades ago.

Even longer than that, the very first time I tried, near rt 30 but inside the side towards marlboro, and not rt 9, we were casting crawlers at a downed tree in the middle.  Probably only 10 ft across.  After about 10 kivers, I hooked a LMB - biggest I've ever seen, even bigger than the fish I had in okeechobee.  I was well over 8lbs, maybe over 10.  Regardless, we were messing around, and I was tossing light weight.  AND my drag was frozen.  A couple jumps and it snapped my line.  I'll never forget that day.

But on trips following that, we caught many nice fish from above the dam, and down along the canal, to 5-6 lbs.  Had to work for them, but most came on rubber worms, occasional spinnerbaits.

One interesting note, a friend of mine caught a 22" rainbow in there - assumed it made it all the way from the chu.

I think in those days, it was off limits, but we fished it anyways.  Not sure now.