LL Bean surf bagLL Bean surf bag

Rate this topic

albacized

That's alot of clams. Things even got inflatable strap technology! First I've heard of it. They have more hip packs and backpack options and than plug bags. I just got this chest pack. Will have to retrofit some plug holders but simple to do. Large main pocket could probably hold 6 tubes with rm for other stuff. Holds a water bottle on bottom of bag. Couple zingers cable things to hold tools on either side. May have to grommet a couple holes on bottom for drainage as well. 60 bucks. 20180220_090836.thumb.jpg.1a76d8d35eb128dd520ffe027da26562.jpg20180220_090750.thumb.jpg.ccd87a8d9bd48f8f8f615b520e898882.jpg

Interesting. We don't have a great deal of options if you are looking to spend less on a decent bag. I'd like to hold it first and really check it out but I don't think they are far off the mark. Sure if the price was $100 it would be better but competition is few and far between in this range. $150 is not ridiculous IMO. If i was in the market for a medium duty bag I would at least check it out.

• Sudsy changed the title to LL Bean surf bagLL Bean surf bag
7 hours ago, christopherr said:

Looks like a fly bag. Cool!

Ill keep buying flatlanders.

I really like the flatlanders. I got a chance to see them at the show and talk to the guy that makes them. He set me up with a belt and a water bottle holder with the buddy lock system. How do you go about ordering these? For the quality of the product I think the price is very fair. 

• 3 months later...

I have one and so far I like it better than the Shimano bag I was using previously. It has some quirks that some people won’t like, but I’m planning to keep it as my main bag. 

I snagged way too many hooks on the fabric of the Shimano bag, and that seems to be a non-issue with the LL Bean. I like that the tubes are larger, which allows me to more easily retrieve shorter plugs that drop to the bottom of the tubes. The three-point strap keeps the bag in place so that it doesn’t swing around in front of me when I’m bending over to land a fish. To me, this is a big plus, and it also keeps the bag from bouncing around on my back when I’m casting or crawling over rocks. 

On the negative, the magnets don’t hold well unless you line them up just right, but I still prefer this to the velcro overkill on the Shimano bags. Also, the lid keeper loop on top of the LLB is very hard to lock in, and would work much better if the hook part weren’t jammed against the lower pocket. (Maybe the hook on mine was sewn in too low?)

Bottom Line: it’s not perfect, but I like mine, and I certainly prefer it to the Shimano.