Fishing sliders

Rate this topic

Vt coast

I have a few sliders in my batch of flies and am interested in trying some of them this year. I have an old Farnsworth slider, some gurglurs (which I think are considered sliders?) and a few of Page Rogers slim jims. but have never really fished them. How do you fish these guys. Do you let them just float along and give a give them a twitch now and then? What are you going for when fishing them, a wake, a pop? Better at night or day? During a blitz?.......

The name "Sliders" suggest how they should be fished. They are designed to be fished on or just below the surface depending on how fast they are stripped.  Not sure they would fish better at night than they would during the day. During a Blitz it doesn't matter, if it's moving, most likely it going to get whacked.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

When I hear "slider" I usually think  of  a Sneaky Pete but I do fish a variation of  Page's Slim Jim in fresh water.  Most times I'll fish sliders on top.  Normally, I'll just strip them at various speeds.   Sometimes I'll pause them, if they have a round face, pop them a little.   I also fish them off a sink tip on short 5 or 6 foot fluorocarbon leader.  Let the line sink, to the bottom if  possible,  the fly will suspend. When you strip it the fly dives toward the bottom.  Pause and it floats back up.  I'm not sure how that would work in the salt, but it's been deadly on smallmouth.

Sliders are one of my favorites for jumbo sea trout on the flats ( in FL ) and 95% of the time it's strictly sight fish.

That being so I work it according to how the fish appears to be reacting to it. I don't let it sit too long otherwise the fish might be studying it before attack and decided not.

This big girl was only 20 feet away when she slammed it, after following it for 15ft.  Similar to  green avatar one. She was about 29" and fat. If you can fool them really big ole girls you know they work.

29 gator.jpg

Edited by Saltybum

1 hour ago, bonefishdick said:

The name "Sliders" suggest how they should be fished. They are designed to be fished on or just below the surface depending on how fast they are stripped.  Not sure they would fish better at night than they would during the day. During a Blitz it doesn't matter, if it's moving, most likely it going to get whacked.

My nighttime experience has been that Page Roger's Slim Jim fishes best at night, casting it out, floating or intermediate line, no matter, letting it sit for a bit and then retrieving with quick twitches and pause. I've changed her color pattern from olive/chartreuse to black/white for nighttime presentations and I couldn't recommend it more! If the stripers are feeding on a spring  sand eel hatch, they'll constantly wallop it on top. Be sure you use a hook with a wide gap when tying her pattern. 

Sliders, slide gently......poppers push not so gently, but poppers can be made to pop gently if needed.  Sliders just slide faster if needed. Sliders are like a minnow trying to get somewhere and a popper can be like a bunch of minnows or frog trying to get somewhere. Just visualize what you are trying to imitate that is tied to the end of your leader and bring it to life. It works every time.  

VT Coast, when I lived in Vermont the coastal boundary was the White river, have things changed ?

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician
Old Age 2

Sliders are freak'n deadly at night. Bass come in tight under the cover of darkness for sipping top feeding spearing, killies, bay anchovies and shrimp. This Crease Slider is super easy to make....any size and color to your local baits. Slowly swim it on top and add to the retrieve a pause, a pop, quickly move it......give em what they want.

striper-fly-tying-for-striper-photo-by-jack-denny-fly-dreamers-FDID749w10000h1mimg_51cde9b6e1420.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas on fishing these guys. Can't wait to try them out!

12 hours ago, Fishin Technician said:

VT Coast, when I lived in Vermont the coastal boundary was the White river, have things changed ?

Do you mean the Connecticut? But no things haven't changed yet. We'll see what global warming brings. Maybe I won't have to travel so far.

11 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Sliders are freak'n deadly at night. Bass come in tight under the cover of darkness for sipping top feeding spearing, killies, bay anchovies and shrimp. This Crease Slider is super easy to make....any size and color to your local baits. Slowly swim it on top and add to the retrieve a pause, a pop, quickly move it......give em what they want.

striper-fly-tying-for-striper-photo-by-jack-denny-fly-dreamers-FDID749w10000h1mimg_51cde9b6e1420.jpg

My man Salty pretty much sums it up. Give them what they want! You can start of with a subtle and steady strip and if they don't like that, switch to a more herky jerky popping mode. Or the other way around! You can also mix and mash.

VT Coast,

I was being facetious in my reference to the White river as being a boundary, Sadly I remember when one of the first true Atlantic Salmon that returned to this watershed after many years of extensive stocking was actually "caught" by a native with a pitch fork. Go figure.

At that time I worked at the Pittsford fish hatchery ( I was a fish feeder / Purina Trout pellets) that is now known as the Eisenhower hatchery that feeds Furnace brook. Today they still breed Sebago strain Landlocks that are stocked into Lake Champlain.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician
noun's and pronoun's

interesting that you guys fish them like a popper. i never have.

i've either cast them and swung them in the current, or i use a very slow figure of eight retrieve - as slow as i can make it, especially at night.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

On February 17, 2018 at 9:46 PM, saltyh2ofly said:

We likey !