Need surf top recommendation for summer

Rate this topic

SalamiSausage

The zipup is going to put a crimp in your options. Most waterproof tops are pullovers.  If you want a good all-around waterproof rain top, zipper,  with hood, breathable, wrist gaskets but no neck gasket, check out StormR Aero.  Their Surf Top is too warm for summer except for maybe cool nights.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

Never worried much about summer wear, more concerned with keeping the bugs away. Most of the requirements on your wish list make for a hot feeling, I'd rather get wet. Bring a few change of shirts, a few dry towels and your good for a night of summer fishing. I'd spend my money on a colder weather top, and if you already have that, I'd save my money for another need.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

9 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Never worried much about summer wear, more concerned with keeping the bugs away. Most of the requirements on your wish list make for a hot feeling, I'd rather get wet. Bring a few change of shirts, a few dry towels and your good for a night of summer fishing. I'd spend my money on a colder weather top, and if you already have that, I'd save my money for another need.

Whoa, thank you for enlightening me. I guess I'll just wear my Northface Hyvent and save money.

If you can do a pullover...you have more options.  Check out kayaking tops... typically very well built, and less expensive than surf tops... although that's a pretty general statement.

NRS, Stohlquist and Level Six are really good brands.  You can get true dry tops and well as semi-dry tops ( spray tops)

I believe there is a place for a good dry top or semi-dry top in the summer.  First of all, there are plenty of times when getting wet and having water sneak down into your waders just plain sucks.  Yeah, if you're out in a sky blue sunny day and temps are 70s or 80s...fine...getting wet is OK.  Drizzle or rain all day, rain at night, surf spray and splashes at night when temps can get lower....then the wind picks up and since you're wet, and probably wearing cotton top and blue jeans...you can get very uncomfortable. 

As rescue people know...it is not difficult to get hypothermia in summer under the right (or wrong) conditions.  Plus there's just the factor of staying nice and dry for four hours before you walk fifteen minutes back to the truck at 4 AM.  You probably do not need neck gasket in summer.

I'll return to the suggestion of the StormR Aero.  It does not have neck gasket as it zips up or true wrist gaskets.... there's a band of latex inside the cuff...not tight like a normal gasket, just the inside of the cuff having latex sewed to it.  Then on the outside of the sleeve, there's a velcro band to tighten down as much as you want.  Its really a comfortable raincoat on steroids.  Pretty breathable and waterproof.

Lot of guys like the Guy Cotten surf tops... there's a slightly less waterproof one (the 800?) And the more robust one, the 1200.  Plus their lightweight Montauk top which does not have a hood.

After decades of having poor quality raincoats or windbreakers that leave you soaked when fishing (whether from rain, spray or internal sweating)...I really appreciate being able to spend the additional funds and getting high quality gear that is appropriate for the conditions.

Edited by blackdogfish

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

3 hours ago, Big Will said:

I just saw a new guy cotton top that they had at surf day and was thinking it would be the perfect warm weather top. Don’t know the name but it was about as light as a waterproof top can be. 

Probably the Montauk

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

38 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

If you can do a pullover...you have more options.  Check out kayaking tops... typically very well built, and less expensive than surf tops... although that's a pretty general statement.

NRS, Stohlquist and Level Six are really good brands.  You can get true dry tops and well as semi-dry tops ( spray tops)

I believe there is a place for a good dry top or semi-dry top in the summer.  First of all, there are plenty of times when getting wet and having water sneak down into your waders just plain sucks.  Yeah, if you're out in a sky blue sunny day and temps are 70s or 80s...fine...getting wet is OK.  Drizzle or rain all day, rain at night, surf spray and splashes at night when temps can get lower....then the wind picks up and since you're wet, and probably wearing cotton top and blue jeans...you can get very uncomfortable. 

As rescue people know...it is not difficult to get hypothermia in summer under the right (or wrong) conditions.  Plus there's just the factor of staying nice and dry for four hours before you walk fifteen minutes back to the truck at 4 AM.  You probably do not need neck gasket in summer.

I'll return to the suggestion of the StormR Aero.  It does not have neck gasket as it zips up or true wrist gaskets.... there's a band of latex inside the cuff...not tight like a normal gasket, just the inside of the cuff having latex sewed to it.  Then on the outside of the sleeve, there's a velcro band to tighten down as much as you want.  Its really a comfortable raincoat on steroids.  Pretty breathable and waterproof.

Lot of guys like the Guy Cotten surf tops... there's a slightly less waterproof one (the 800?) And the more robust one, the 1200.  Plus their lightweight Montauk top which does not have a hood.

After decades of having poor quality raincoats or windbreakers that leave you soaked when fishing (whether from rain, spray or internal sweating)...I really appreciate being able to spend the additional funds and getting high quality gear that is appropriate for the conditions.

I dont wade too deep so splashes are not too big of an issue for me. I've come to a conclusion that I need a good rain top rather than a surf top. Also I'm willing to sacrifice some of the water-tightness for good ventilation. What do you think of the Stormr Nano? 

Just now, SalamiSausage said:

Is it pullover or zipup?

Pullover. I only briefly looked at it and forgot the model but like I said it’s lighter than any other top I’ve seen and is fully sealed. I was going to get a montauk by the spring but this looks like a better choice depending on the price. 

I just bought the montauk top at surf day. I went to surfday with intentions on walking out with the new top from guy Cotten but hated it when I tried it on. Way to light I don’t think it will ever hold up. Guy Cotten really missed the boat with that top. Add a hood to the montauk top and you’d sell them silly. 

On 2/18/2018 at 0:31 AM, SalamiSausage said:

I dont wade too deep so splashes are not too big of an issue for me. I've come to a conclusion that I need a good rain top rather than a surf top. Also I'm willing to sacrifice some of the water-tightness for good ventilation. What do you think of the Stormr Nano? 

I dont have any experience with it.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

I wear polyester long sleeve shirts during the summer. They're quick drying and wick away sweat, unlike cotton that remains soggy. They also have the added benefit of providing a layer against bugs because they're long sleeve. I'll put a shirt on over it if the bugs are mosquitoes.

I pack a breathable frogg toggs rain coat if there's a chance of rain. If I'm on a pier then the Frogg Toggs breathable pants or breathable bibs get packed.

It's simple, does the job for me and inexpensive. 

I have the NRS pullover but I wouldn't want to wear that in hot weather.