Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stroipaHuntah

September Mystery Creatures

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It's winter and I know we're all chomping at the bit, so I figured I'd share a story that's haunted me.

So I'll start this off by saying that I chunk from time to time. So sue me.  I know most guys on here are plug-a-holics and swear by artificials.  I spend a lot of time with topwater and swimmers and jigs and all that, but when I really target big fish at night I often will chunk in the warmer months.  Whatever, onto the story.

The last two Septembers I've had the same experience, in the same spot.  This is a spot just outside of a local harbor at the mouth of a river, with a pretty decent water movement.  I set up in the spot, and I have had these massive, drag screaming runs and epic fights, Only ending in broken line, repeatedly.  We are talking big powerful fish, absolutely peeling out line like no tomorrow.  Ok, so I figure there's blues around.  Time to put on the leaders and have some fun.   On go the leaders, same experience, they bite right through the leaders.  Sometimes I am able to turn the fish, sometimes they just run and run and break off. We're talking 80 lb wire leaders, over and over again.  I've never really heard of bluefish biting through leaders.  It got so desperate last season that I tied 2 leaders to one circle hook and these creatures bit through both of them.  I **** you not.  I have picture proof.  Whatever these fish were, on both occasions they absolutely destroyed my tackle, I rarely have to use wire leaders and these fish went through every one I had on my boat, both times.  And I started off with 50 lbi. maxima in the first place, which I can usually manage to keep blues from biting through.

Now let me say, I consider myself new to this game, but I have caught some big fish and I have some perspective and I know how to set a drag.  I have a handful of 30 pounders to my name, and one 40 last season.  Point being not that I'm a big tony tough nuts, but that I know what a big fish in our local waters feels like. 

So what say you?  Mutant bluefish?  Possibly a sand tiger or other species?  Why September?

Edited by stroipaHuntah

You need a bigger boat! Bump the leader way up and prepare for battle.

On 2/20/2018 at 2:32 PM, Paul E said:

How close are you to Groton/New London?  Those big tin whales frequent those waters!  

LOL Not close at all, and fishing in about 8 ft of water.  Really considering I may have hooked some sharks actually.  

I was on the Black Hawk with my daughter in October when they had one of the new subs out and about. Pretty cool. 

On 2/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, stroipaHuntah said:

LOL Not close at all, and fishing in about 8 ft of water.  Really considering I may have hooked some sharks actually.  

Next time you go out, go with a sharking set up.  Report back!