Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yumeya

Nippers

28 posts in this topic

I'll say this, I had the Abel nips for 3 years before I misplaced them, and used them daily on braid and mono. I'm using a cheap pair of streamworks nips, the kind you pull out of a bucket at the counter of your local shop at the moment. I have no complaints. 

Finger nail clippers for me.  Cheap easy to replace.  Once in a while I'll use the larger toe nail clippers if that's what I happen to pick up.

My ole fishing buddy used to use his teeth. 

You can see if you look closely when he smiles 

though he has thought about getting them fixed 

nippers are less expensive 

I use cheap nippers for fly fishing because I like the pin on the back for clearing hook eyes if I can't thread my leader. Nothing more than $5. Nail clippers for all other fishing.

I buy cheap, small, wire cutters, (Dykes) from Harbor Freight for about $1 each.

I leave them on the boat, never rinse them, and they last about a couple of months -fishing 4 or 5 days a week.

They easily cut any size mono, 20 lb knotable wire, and do a fair job on 60lb braid.

If they fall overboard, no big deal. I go through 3 or 4 a year.

ABEL nippers 165.00 (rainbow trout décor).

For convenience, an ABEL zinger for a mere 175.00

I finally broke down and steeped it up this year, bought two pair @ $1.99 ea. with custom Red Thumb pads ! :)

P1100178sol.JPG.817f16cee760e21ee1f8ea736de00141.JPG

Posted (edited)

I use Dr.Slick's. Been super reckless with them and they have dulled a bit, but it's nothing that a little sharpening won't fix! I never understood the need to buy crazy expensive nippers.

Not going to lie though, I don't use them as much as I should, biting tippet off is a nasty habit of mine..

Edited by micros
added a sentence.

Big Nippa by Rising Fly Fishing.  $12.00.  Been using them for a couple of years in the salt.  No issues.  A little larger than most and easier to handle.  Sharp, durable cutters.