Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
msabella17

Hobie outback taking on water

16 posts in this topic

I have only taken out my outback twice, I understand that most kayaks will take on some water but I’m curious as to how much should be a concern? I think my problem is that my front hatch by the seat isn’t completely sealed which I plan on replacing this off-season. Any input would be great, thanks.

If the waves are breaking over your bow, then expect a quart or 2, if it's calm you shouldn't have any water in the hull.

29 mins ago, msabella17 said:

That’s what has me concerned, glass conditions and I had a decent amount of water 

Have you checked the back drain plug for snugness?

if you have access to an air pump/compressor/leaf blower, seal off the front hatch, get ongoing positive air pressure into the hull and spray soapy water everywhere... bubbles should show every hole (perhaps hatched, rudder line entry/exit holes) ... seal them as they show themselves and continue until no more bubbles show. Hopefully it’s just a badly installed hatch and nothing worse.

BDEC3F4B-FE56-40B4-8DAA-5839D339CF02.jpeg

887617F3-72B4-4749-A19D-96A8C5911B11.jpeg

38445711-4F28-487A-A4F9-B287465C19AF.jpeg

B39052D5-83A9-454C-80A7-CF5F8B86BF2E.jpeg

8 hours ago, msabella17 said:

I have only taken out my outback twice, I understand that most kayaks will take on some water but I’m curious as to how much should be a concern? I think my problem is that my front hatch by the seat isn’t completely sealed which I plan on replacing this off-season. Any input would be great, thanks.

Is this a new or used kayak?

There are 2 main areas where cracks are typically found on older Outbacks.

1. Inside the scuppers (usually due to scupper type carts. The scuppers have been strengthened in sebsequent years)

2. The bottom of the hull where the front part of the mirage drive rests on (also addressed in sebsequent years).

Be aware, some cracks are only visible when under stress (i.e. Your body weight).

Bottom line, your boat should not have much water in it after an average day. Maybe half a cup. Any more and you have problems. Some water will get in around the round hatch seals, but not much. The front hatch is another problem area, but only on rough days. In flat calm I would suspect a hull crack. How much water is in it?   

18 hours ago, msabella17 said:

If you only took your kayak out twice and it’s taking on water then you bought it that way.  If  you bought it from a Hobie shop used call them and find out what coverage you have.  If you bought it privately you still may get some help.  The key is bring it to your Hobie dealer and see what kind of help you can get or test it with air or even fill it with water and take note where the leaks are coming from. 

Edited by The Riddler

I bought it used from someone off craigslist, which is why I’m asking if I should be concerned about the water and if so how I can fix it. If I bought it from an authorized dealer I would of already brought it to them. Didn’t really think much about it until now. Clearly just from the feedback I must have a crack somewhere, hopefully I can fix it

Edited by msabella17

Just now, msabella17 said:

I bought it used from someone off craigslist, which is why I’m asking if I should be concerned about the water and if so how I can fix it. If I bought it from an authorized dealer I would of already brought it to them. Didn’t really think much about it until now

Bring it to the dealer you may get partial of a warranty of a new hull or maybe not. We have seen folks in the past get credit to a new hull. Play the game. Tell them you bought it new and now it's leaking. The serial number will be taken down and the dealer will file a claim. It's worth a try.

Hopefully you didn't buy a hull that was already cracked and warrantied. Those hulls are supposed to be destroyed but sometimes folks can hold onto it, patch it and sell it or whatever. Scupper Seat holes can be repaired. Drive well cracks are tough to fix permanently. Most repairs in the drive well fail again.

Good Luck