Fort Lauderdale Shore Fishing

Rate this topic

Jmat321

Ft Lauderdale is tough for a vacationer to fish from land. Where "in the back" do you have access to ? Look into the inlets to the north and south. Beach only available to fish before/after swimmers. Access and parking make it a challenge.

You put a pig on a spit, and you can guarantee my attendance.

You may be able to fish for sheepshead off your bulkhead.  Scrape some barnacles off, use some for bait, some for chum.  Or catch some fiddler crabs or use pieces of shrimp.  If no sheepshead, just hook up a shrimp, preferably live, and dead drift it.  If you want to fish ocean side, look for a pier or jetty.  There are a couple party boats that will go out.  I have used Kelleys in North Miami Beach at Haulover although I wasn't happy about their "regulars" that hog the rear deck.  On one trip I went early and one 'regular' moved my rod.  One of us almost went overboard.  lol

Oh, and for fishing sheepshead, use about size 4 bait hook tied to a couple feet of leader to a swivel, bead and a 1 oz egg sinker sliding on your 10 lb or so braid.   Drop it to the bottom, reel one turn then wait.

Edited by kayak99

There's some decent places to fish off the beach in FLL, I moved down here about 2 years ago and have had luck with jacks, snapper, bluefish, and many more right off the beach using tins and bucktails. Use google maps and check out the sandbars right off the beach on the south end, there's also a couple jettys at the inlet. Good luck.

I have fished at the Grand Park Blvd access and had Jacks, Spanish Macks, Pompano, Blues and more. It's true that fishing is only allowed from 6pm to 8am but I was questioned once, not fishing -  rod was in a spike far from the water, and told the rules but the cop added he only came by on Wednesday. However every afternoon a guy comes with 4 rods to the same place and bottom fishes, maybe he has a special license but  no one bothers him. If parking is a problem there a few more acceses a few blocks south with additional parking, nothing North till Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.

Edited by Bogey

I fish on the other side of Florida in Port Charlotte. Before I got my boat and kayak I fished piers much the same as your dock I would think.

I use a 7'rod with a Penn Fierce 2500 or 3000 spinning reel, 15lb braid and a 20lb flouro leader.

usually a 1/0 hook. If you can get live shrimp, that is probably your best bet. I like a popping cork as it keeps your bait off bottom and away from sting rays and catfish. Please keep in mind that saltwater catfish have 3 barbs and a  slime similar to what stingrays have on their tail barb. The catfish barbs will penetrate a work glove. It is supposed to hurt a lot. No first hand experience to speak off and hope to keep it that way. They say for every $1 Florida spends on shark bites, they spend 10Gs on catfish and stingray stings. A hook remover comes in handy. Frozen shrimp is good as well.

Jacks are great fun to catch on light tackle and if you can get into some snapper ,they are great tasting.

Have fun.

Mitch

On 2/28/2018 at 4:58 PM, jhillman17 said:

anyone know what would be in those intercoastal canals early april?  just trying to determine what kind of gear I should pack for fishing.

I have fished the intracoastal and have caught jacks, snapper and flounder. Mostly jacks which are surprisingly large and tough  fighters, For years I’ve brought M and MH travel rods and either a 4000 Penn or a 5000  Stradic. You need the MH for the jacks. The bait is on the small side in the winter and I’ve been using 4 inch glass minnows, doc’s goofy jigs, small spoons and small bucktails.

2 hours ago, Bogey said:

I have fished the intracoastal and have caught jacks, snapper and flounder. Mostly jacks which are surprisingly large and tough  fighters, For years I’ve brought M and MH travel rods and either a 4000 Penn or a 5000  Stradic. You need the MH for the jacks. The bait is on the small side in the winter and I’ve been using 4 inch glass minnows, doc’s goofy jigs, small spoons and small bucktails.

Bogey, appreciate the info... I was planning on just taking a MH rod as I will only be down for a few days and fishing time will usually just be morning/evenings for an hour or so.  Didn't even really think about flounder at all, but I'll bring a few jigs/plastics.  I was just gonna bring a few bomber topwaters, couple of swimbaits, and couple of spoons and i'll throw in some small jigs for snappers too.  Any snook in there that time of year?  never caught one so it would be fun to try if they are around.  

17 hours ago, jhillman17 said:

Bogey, appreciate the info... I was planning on just taking a MH rod as I will only be down for a few days and fishing time will usually just be morning/evenings for an hour or so.  Didn't even really think about flounder at all, but I'll bring a few jigs/plastics.  I was just gonna bring a few bomber topwaters, couple of swimbaits, and couple of spoons and i'll throw in some small jigs for snappers too.  Any snook in there that time of year?  never caught one so it would be fun to try if they are around.  

I’ve caught some snook but I don’t think they are there in numbers in the winter, if you’re targeting snappers shrimp would be the choice, I think you’ll be dealing mostly with jacks on artificials 

3 hours ago, Bogey said:

I’ve caught some snook but I don’t think they are there in numbers in the winter, if you’re targeting snappers shrimp would be the choice, I think you’ll be dealing mostly with jacks on artificials 

Gotcha, I wasn't sure if by the first week of April more of them would have shown up... but either way, just looking to catch a few fish of some kind while enjoying my morning coffee or evening beverage.  Appreciate the insight and responses, thanks.