ccb

100’ cast

45 posts in this topic

50 mins ago, Sandy Noyes said:

Enough line out so that the shooting head or the weight forward section has cleared the tip top guide. This is when the line speed counts.

so your saying between 35' and 40' , the head only?  Are you letting more out when you do a couple of false casts?

Edited by ccb

That's pretty close.  I normally use  Rio 26ft DC Line and that has a 34 ft. head. Another foot or so of running line  won't hurt your cast. I don't want to tell anyone how to cast but this is what works for me. I strip the line in until the dark colored line is in my finger then I make a roll cast to get the fly out of the water. I bring the line back before the end of the roll and make a complete false cast using a haul or double haul and shoot it. The biggest problem with too much line in the air is that it will hinge and that will kill the line speed that you need. With an intermediate line I wait until I feel the running line in me hand and then shoot it. I don't use floating lines but I guess its a similar process.

I have a 30' shooting head 500 grain line and a Loomis SS- so this will not be for all rods- I have about 45' out on the back cast when I shoot it forward.

When lawn casting a 300gr 40ft head using almost 10ft overhang and 9ft leader and 100ft goes without tail wind and too much effort. When wade fishing mid thigh deep I need to use 11ft DH and 40ft 700gr line. 100ft single hand cast from knee deep water needs tail wind.

Esa

Honestly don't know, the entire head plus a bit more - 5-10'? 

That was the good'ol days tho. It's gonna be a long time before I can cast like that again.

I honestly don't think I have ever made a 100 foot cast in my life, I just can't get it done, I would like to but it's not in the genes. :(

The only reason to throw a 100' cast consistently is that to throw it consistently it means your mechanics are almost perfect and thus you can throw a 60' cast with extreme accuracy which really counts.

It all depends on how much line you feel comfortable with in the air (for false casting)). I set my shooting heads up so I just need 2 ft. of overhang. I like a 36 ft. head. For an integrated sinking "head" line I often have about 10 ft of ("overhang") line past the 30 ft. head. For an intermediate and floating WF line I keep a lot of line in the air. Maybe 70 ft. or more. It's a lot. It's where I feel comfortable for power. You have to learn where you feel comfortable and simultaneously can get your max power from this. I can't tell you for you. I DO shoot even more line out on my final backcast before I make the presentation forward cast with a WF line too. Five feet? 10 ft.? It's significant.

I learned to cast FAR because of how I wanted to fish for Northeast saltwater fishing. From the start I knew I needed to cast the same distances with a fly that I did with a  plug for stripers and blues, and I needed to be able to do this with a fly as big as a big plug, and to do this in a rocking sea as well. I thought this was the norm, that almost every flyman could do this. Why not? It seemed practical to me.  It was my goal and I worked at it. I wanted to catch big fish, it was how I did it on plug, so it should be the same on fly. A few years later I was surprised when I realized that it WASN'T the norm for fly people! Moral: DON'T limit yourself by what you're told! Break past that mentally and work at your casting! Giant distances CAN be done on fly while fishing. Big...GIANT... distances can be done with giant flies too. Believe it and work at it. 

My friend Kevin Callahan saw me casting these distances routinely, normally, and copied me. For a long time from his start fly casting he didn't consult anyone else, nor did he read anything about fly casting either. He turned into one of the best fly casters in the Country because he didn't know you couldn't.

Mag long distance casting REALLY helps in False Albacore fishing too. Don't let anybody kid you. And in tarpon fishing it's a real ace in the hole. Super distance may be most critical in Bluefin Tuna fishing. To be in the "money" A LOT you have to really get it out there (100 - 150 ft.). You NEVER hear that, especially among the braggarts. They keep it quiet not because it isn't important, but because they can't do it. Work at routinely casting 100 ft., then work hard to go beyond it.

Don't believe the myth that you can't be accurate and DEADLY accurate at extreme distances too, or that you can't be the same using giant flies. That's simply NOT TRUE. I've proved that you can again and again! So has Kevin.  Work at it! Weight balance your giant flies and go out and practice and fish. I developed all my casting and eveything else I do for FISHING, to catch the fish I wanted to catch.

Don't feel bad if you can't get the distance. Just practice. Don't hang out at the fly shop or the tackle shop ---- go practice your casting instead. There's a fly shop in Darien CT, and if those guys (and there are MANY) who hang out there religiously on Saturdays put in half that "hang" time working on their fly casting they'd faint at their results! They couldn't even imagine how good they'd be now after 15 straight years of "dedication".

Come to the Fly Fishing and Wingshooting Expo in 11 days. Improve your bass, blue, and albie CATCHING, your fish fighting skills (with Andy Mill) and your fly casting! Great casting demos, fishing presentations, and vital classes. Take a fly casting class and get over the hump!  Matt Supinski on catching big steelhead, salmon, and Brown Trout. Kelly Galloup on using (and tying his) streamers as well.

God Bless, Everyone,

Mark Sedotti

It really depends on the line design. If I have an 80' DT line on, I'll be carrying 70' of line plus the leader and shoot 10'. With a SA Mastery Expert Distance, I'll carry between 60' and 80' of line plus the leader and shoot the remainder. If I have a 50' head, I'll have the head plus the leader plus about 6' of running line outside the tip of the rod. If I have a 30' head, it'll be all the head plus about 6' of running line (I don't like this style of line so I rarely use one.)

If you opt for a line like the Rio OBS, you need to shoot a lot of line to reach 100' and that's not great for accuracy and it's awful into the wind. The longer the belly of the line (be it DT or WF) the further you can carry line and the less line you need to shoot to reach 100' for the presentation.

The main thing is not to have too much running line outside the tip or the loop will be hard to form.

Cheers,

Graeme

There's a lot of bologna out there guys.  Most of the people I see claiming such skill are lawn casting or BS artists.  Lawn casting is much easier.  When wading and with a wet or air resistant fly, wind, etc., I don't see this as a reality... a pipe dream.  If you are up high on a boat or platform you'll get added distance.

In SW I like the Rio Outbound Short in Int.  I use a stripping basket.  I get the head out (you can feel the transition) and one of two back casts with a single haul and let'er rip.  It goes as far as it does and I fish it!  :-)

For me my cast is, "it is what it is" to quote some football guy and quote to him again, I talk to my fly and before I make my less than 100 foot cast,  I tell it " do your job ". I like when they listen and I don't have to bench them.

I did read one remark that said learning to cast 100 feet then lets you make pin point accurate casts when you have to make a shorter cast. That I'm not buying, I have been doing this to  on most days I feel like I can put the fly right where it needs to be. Other days it's like tying flies onto a leader and I am all thumbs.

I know people who can do it, I have seen it done but in all honesty I can't remember ever seeing someone do it while fishing, In fact on most day  I don't hear these same things said together very often if at all,  "Fish On and then, he's into my backing". Think about that.