Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aquacide

Fresh food Boxes vz SNAP/EBT cards

33 posts in this topic

initially I thought yeah, great idea - no spending on cigs and gourmet apple pies etc but then I thought a) its the govt - they will buy the cheapest produce possible - factory farmed, GMO, full of pesticides, antibiotics etc and b) the infrastructure needed to procure, transport, store and distribute to 25 million people across the nation would be super expensive. and your replacing the free market with the government....

plus, just like EBT & SNAP cards , the poor can barter the produce for cash, drugs, alcohol etc.

so on balance, like a lot of trump/GOP brainwaves, its sounds good and will appease the base (many of whom use EBT) but its a terrible idea and solves nothing.

thoughts ?

42 mins ago, Aquacide said:

initially I thought yeah, great idea - no spending on cigs and gourmet apple pies etc but then I thought a) its the govt - they will buy the cheapest produce possible - factory farmed, GMO, full of pesticides, antibiotics etc and b) the infrastructure needed to procure, transport, store and distribute to 25 million people across the nation would be super expensive. and your replacing the free market with the government....

plus, just like EBT & SNAP cards , the poor can barter the produce for cash, drugs, alcohol etc.

so on balance, like a lot of trump/GOP brainwaves, its sounds good and will appease the base (many of whom use EBT) but its a terrible idea and solves nothing.

thoughts ?

Stop thinking before you hurt yourself. **** like this has been going on long before President Trump.Nothing new here.

1 hour ago, Aquacide said:

thoughts ?

My first thought as well.  Right always says govt most expensive way to deliver any service and they might be right about it this time.  Seems like a huge portion of available funding would be lost to logistics.   Just to get a box of what could be worse than school lunches.  Think EBT can be used at farmers markets now?

1 hour ago, Aquacide said:

they will buy the cheapest produce possible - factory farmed, GMO, full of pesticides, antibiotics etc

I hope they include a liberal dose (no pun intended) of some sort of anti spermicidal agent as well.

like the drug testing stuff...you hear it and your first reaction is to support it, but then you remember its the government and it will end up costing three times what you "save".

27 mins ago, JimW said:

.  Think EBT can be used at farmers markets now?

yes.

our local FM in Braintree, MA had a big issue with one vendor - she made gourmet baked goods and the charter of the FM says producers must accept EBT/SNAP etc.

then someone tried to buy an $18 apple pie off her with their EBT and the vendor refused to sell it 'on principle' :kook:

of course, she became a hero to the far right. and got kicked out of the FM.

my solution to this would be for the all the stores to run and join a system (paid for by the Govt) where Govt ID is shown and they prepare the boxes and have them for exchange or delivery. keep the govt out of it as much as possible.

I like the idea but instead of shipping have a once a week pick up at the local post office. That or cut snap benefits by 30%. I see these people buying stuff that I don't buy cause its too expensive.

How about just handing them food like they did when this crap all started? We were at our local market and in the checkout line with a hoochie mamma with ebt ahead of us. She looked at my cart and we had a couple fresh pork shoulders ( dirt cheap ) and she said she would NEVER buy that swill. The clerk told her to hush up cause she knows me and I just might shove one up her a$$. There was applause all around. FYI she had 4 rugrats, all under school age.

How about a box that is administered via a voucher system attached to the snap card. Lets say 4 boxes a month containing milk or juice, choice of 5 cereals, some root vegetables and a few other non perishables. Distribution would be via local pickup at a precipitating supermarket. The program would be limited to larger chains such as walmart, Kroger, shop rite etc so it reduces the possibility of funny business in the back room. The the benefit holder gets a snap card with 30% of its current value.

21 hours ago, JimW said:

My first thought as well.  Right always says govt most expensive way to deliver any service and they might be right about it this time.  Seems like a huge portion of available funding would be lost to logistics.   Just to get a box of what could be worse than school lunches.  Think EBT can be used at farmers markets now?

Agreed.

Plus who's gonna want to deliver t dangerous locations? Or driving 300 miles/day in rural areas?