Reed422

Southside Blues 2018

24 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

I'll be looking high and low for bluefish this year.I have a new smoker and nothing beats my smoked bluefish.I caught 0 bluefish the last two years and this year that will change.three years ago i caught these.

DSCN3536_zps025add8a.jpg

Wow , they look good. I'll be right over !!

5 hours ago, FyshhTrap said:

Wow , they look good. I'll be right over !!

Whats your recepie for Blue fish ?? Gotta Know

14 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

I'll be looking high and low for bluefish this year.I have a new smoker and nothing beats my smoked bluefish.I caught 0 bluefish the last two years and this year that will change.three years ago i caught these.

DSCN3536_zps025add8a.jpg

Whats your recepie for Blue Fish , ??? Gotta Know !!!

I caught only a handful and incidental to canal fishing for bass.  im sure i would have caught more had i visited some higher percentage spots more often and put more effort into targeting them. only have so much time :angel:

Nice YED golden.    I bet your numbers are down significantly in the last 3-5 years in comparison to before that....right?

This was off gooseberry last August. Hopefully video downloaded. 1st time trying to download. Lots from 5 to 10lbs. Even when not blitzing like this I was getting them everyday consistently for the whole month. Awesome on light  tackle!20170823_174030.mp4

Blue fish are no different then most other fish. They have good years and they have bad years . Then they have years where one can not find them during the times when they should be hitting, but the mouths stay closed. The first run of squid along the sound can become an indicator as to what to expect., especially along the south facing beaches from Falmouth to Race Point. With out mentioning some in between that are better indicators over all. Look for days in the beginning for On shore SW winds that will drive the bait closer to the beaches and make them happy, with there mouths open . If the squid continue to stay in a line of shore as the boats work them over , then one may need a boat to get into some action. Once the herring and crunchies show up then the inner most reaches of the estuaries in some cases become more active as well. So if all the weather conditions and bait they will be feeding on are working who knows what some patients may reveal , keep in mind they also do get picky at times and bait dead sticked on the bottom, day or night will produce as well. They can be a challenge no matter how you may want to fish for them and well worth the time and effort to one of King Neptune's fighting adversaries. Great eating if prepared properly , grilled, baked, smoked and one way most  likely  have not tried is in a fish chowder. Keep looking for the squid boats along the Sound for the first blue fish of the season and if mother nature cooperates who knows what you may find. .