Reed422

Southside Blues 2018

22 posts in this topic

I certainly caught a few last year but much less than in past seasons. Anyone think this year will be better?

Hopefully, they always provide some fun when the bass are not cooperating. The only blues i caught this year were landed in the canal while targeting bass.

Reports I've heard said they were in good early in 2017 but then disappeared for the summer, which is when I'm usually fishing for them which I can attest to.

I think it's once the squid are all scooped out of MV sound they head for other parts.   With all the pogies in BB and mackerel off the outer cape, what's to keep them in MV Sound once the squid is gone?

They were non-existent on the North Shore and the only good thing there was the bait never left.  I've never seen it so thick!

Was a good spring run in NJ & NY last year, IIRC. Haven't heard anyone give a convincing explanation as to why they never filtered up north- first for the traditional S.Cape spring blue run.. and then everywhere else. Not sure if they stuck around in nj/ny all summer as I didnt pay attention to their catch reports once the bass moved in here. Definitely was a down year for squid here last spring. Maybe that had something to do with it.

As for 2018... ¯\_(?)_/¯

2 hours ago, z-man said:

That's a new way to lube a chain!

They are an oily fish!

I'll be looking high and low for bluefish this year.I have a new smoker and nothing beats my smoked bluefish.I caught 0 bluefish the last two years and this year that will change.three years ago i caught these.

DSCN3536_zps025add8a.jpg

I actually had a pretty good season catching blues last year . I know many felt their presence was down last year. I checked my logs then focused on locations and tides where I've had the most success catching them. I caught my personal best shore caught blue last year, a 33", 13lber.

I caught the most big blues up to like 38" last year but didn't find as many smaller ones. My buddy and I hit a pod where every fish was over 36". Had a few 20 fish days but had to work harder for them.