What is this Toyota marketing BS

hoakge12000

They put a snorkel on a taco and some shocks and say it's Baja worthy...

Baja isn't real off roading, Arctic, Colorado Rockies yalwal, cape York are...

Rest of the world has tripple lockers sfa sra bfg ko2 snorkel HD leaf springs turbo diesel and front bumper and they decide to give us some crap shocks on ifs with a 300 mile crap fuel range. 

Then they have the balls to say trd is the icon of Toyota and completely disregard the superior and legendary lc70 and Hilux found every where else but here.

What is this bs marketing and how does the parent company approve???

images (1).jpeg

OH NO!  Not the dreaded IFS vs SFA again.  One thing that is a guarantee is that Toyota will sell as many of the TRD Pros as they make and many will sell for more than MSRP.  They must be doing something right in the marketing department.

The snorkel is a gimmick just to get some hype at the auto shows, and it worked.  It will be an add on accessory.  I think it looks hideous and is too tall for the truck.

Edited by z-man
more info

2 hours ago, mitchellgoosen said:

They probably realize that 99% of the people that are going to do serious off roading arent going to buy a vehicle that will probably cost $50,000.  It will be one boss mall crawler though.

And the new hilux looks like a honda ridgeline.  Leave it overseas.  

Why would 99% of people buy an off road truck only to mall crawl it? Isn't the reason behind it to use it as a UTE? 

12 mins ago, hoakge12000 said:

Why would 99% of people buy an off road truck only to mall crawl it? Isn't the reason behind it to use it as a UTE? 

Why would you buy a brand new vehicle that’s gonna get beat to hell?  

And I don’t know why you’d buy a off road vehicle to mall crawl, but I know I can’t drive more then a mile without seeing a lifted Jeep with mud terrains and loads of off roading accessories.

5 mins ago, giant basshole said:

Have you seen the Land Rover crowd ? 

I dont know which crowd you are talking about, but the defenders get used heavily. As for the others, they arent off road worthy as the ground clearance and suspension is that of a camry. I don't think anyone really considers Land Rovers (not defenders..) worthy at all.. let alone on the highway with a trail of spare parts behind it.

5 mins ago, mitchellgoosen said:

Why would you buy a brand new vehicle that’s gonna get beat to hell?  

And I don’t know why you’d buy a off road vehicle to mall crawl, but I know I can’t drive more then a mile without seeing a lifted Jeep with mud terrains and loads of off roading accessories.

Some people like new, others used. Either way, it will be a UTE, because it does not say TRD-MallCrawler. Also, those giant lifts are nonsensical. Going over a steep hill at a side angle big enough can lead to a rollover

Edited by hoakge12000

36 mins ago, hoakge12000 said:

Some people like new, others used. Either way, it will be a UTE, because it does not say TRD-MallCrawler. Also, those giant lifts are nonsensical. Going over a steep hill at a side angle big enough can lead to a rollover

What exactly are you getting at?  That Toyota is wrong for making a happy median between a daily driver and somewhat capable off road machine.  Nobody in there right mind would seriously off road that thing cause they’d Destroy it in a couple of years.  If Toyota came out with a off road only oriented vehicle nobody would buy it cause it would probably be over 100k and again whose dropping that to off road?

On 2/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, hoakge12000 said:

They put a snorkel on a taco and some shocks and say it's Baja worthy...

Baja isn't real off roading, Arctic, Colorado Rockies yalwal, cape York are...

Rest of the world has tripple lockers sfa sra bfg ko2 snorkel HD leaf springs turbo diesel and front bumper and they decide to give us some crap shocks on ifs with a 300 mile crap fuel range. 

Then they have the balls to say trd is the icon of Toyota and completely disregard the superior and legendary lc70 and Hilux found every where else but here.

What is this bs marketing and how does the parent company approve???

images (1).jpeg

So you're critiquing a company for saying it's baja worthy......yet in the next line you say baja isn't real off roading?

Which would only require tires and suspension

I'm so confused.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

The OP is the one confused Scooby. A snorkel is used often not just for wet river crossings, but places like Baja to get above the dust and sand for cleaner air intakes. 

Toyota knows it's market very well and is offering what sells. 

And btw; the Hilux is a butt ugly machine.

12 hours ago, hoakge12000 said:

They dont listen to anyone, even famous 4x4 people who use their products globally do not get recognized much (I'm not sure about TuRD though)

They listen to Focus Groups created by a wide swath of the demographic they hope to sell to- that's why a prototype with SFA with lockers and 35" tires becomes a IFS with 31" radials on open diffs and 65 cup holders when it's in production. Focus Groups kill Niche vehicles. 

...and for the record, I've coveted the 70 series wagon for years, I would love to have one or even a path to import one. 

Dog is my Co-Pilot.