How much do eyes matter on a lure???

Rate this topic

codfish

If you look at the first, early plugs for stripers, they didn't have eyes, and they caught plenty of fish.  The early plugs that did have eyes were just painted tack eyes, a dot of color on a bump of a tack.  Did stripers think that they were seeing eyes?  I doubt it.  Having said all of that, I do prefer realistic eyes on a plug.  If only to have the confidence that the lure will be attractive to the one loony fish who needs to see eyes to decide if it's going to eat or not.

I have  had many discussions about eyes and did lots of experimenting. I have sort of an advantage with experimentation in that I can have my customers throw the good stuff while I fool around with everything else, so over the years I have really get a dial in in what may be effective. It is hard to experiment with plugs because they either comes with eyes or they don't.  What I mean by that is when trying to determine the effectiveness of eyes you cant throw a SS darter with eyes and a Walley darter without eyes and expect to get any valid results, because they are two completely different plugs. However you can take a marker and put an eye on a bucktail and use that side by side with an eyeless buck. I have had too many times when an eyed bucktail completely out-fished an eyeless to call it coincidence. In current , no current, gin clear, deep water, day and night I have seen an eye buck out fish an eyeless. At the same time when the stripers are on the chew they are on the chew and many nights I have found that it did not matter. It is kind of like color, "It only matters when it matters".  SO in my view the eyes have it and can and does make a difference. 

Bill Wetzel
NYS Licensed Guide

11 hours ago, Billwetzel said:

I have  had many discussions about eyes and did lots of experimenting. I have sort of an advantage with experimentation in that I can have my customers throw the good stuff while I fool around with everything else, so over the years I have really get a dial in in what may be effective. It is hard to experiment with plugs because they either comes with eyes or they don't.  What I mean by that is when trying to determine the effectiveness of eyes you cant throw a SS darter with eyes and a Walley darter without eyes and expect to get any valid results, because they are two completely different plugs. However you can take a marker and put an eye on a bucktail and use that side by side with an eyeless buck. I have had too many times when an eyed bucktail completely out-fished an eyeless to call it coincidence. In current , no current, gin clear, deep water, day and night I have seen an eye buck out fish an eyeless. At the same time when the stripers are on the chew they are on the chew and many nights I have found that it did not matter. It is kind of like color, "It only matters when it matters".  SO in my view the eyes have it and can and does make a difference. 

If eyes can at times make a difference is it a safe assumption that its always better to have eyes on your plugs and bucktails.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333