codfish

How much do eyes matter on a lure???

140 posts in this topic

Just talked to a sharpie at one of the local shops who said "if my lure losses an eye, it's effectiveness drops greatly" what say you??

Zero difference for me. But I can believe a freak one time situation that that could have been true.

they matter very much

with eyes predator more easily concludes what it could be and dares to attack

That’s ridiculous I can’t see that being true at all. I think a lot of lures are meant to catch fishermen as well as fish. To me it’s how the plug swims and the color helps as well but something as simple as an eye probably isn’t something a striper is going to take notice of. But who knows maybe I’m wrong. 

I think it depends on the plug, If the plug has a lot of roll it doesnt look as natural with the eyes traveling to the bottom and then to the top. However if its a darter or more stable metal lip Ill take eyes all day. Gives the fish something to key into. However I cant say Ive actually noticed a difference. 

A classic winter discussion.  Pull up your chairs around the cracker barrel. Put yer feet up. Sit fer a spell.  

lol 

A lure missing an eye matters but the two or three shiny trebles swinging under the belly go unnoticed. 

Maybe for something with a lot better eyesight in clear water. But for striped bass in a saltwater environment, people are overthinking it.