codfish

Lost jig in the Canal

54 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, bob_G said:

Many secrets are hard earned. Hundreds, if not thousands of hours experimenting over a 50 plus year career. A few are remaining with me. :ph34r:

Just for kicks, ever tried to rough out how many hours you've actually logged at the canal? 

Youve gotta be pushing 7 or 8K hrs down there. Guys who get out for say, a half-tide 4 nights/wk do about 200 hrs/season. 3 nights, ~175. Over 50 seasons, even 3x/wk adds up to one full year of 24hr days spent casting into that ditch.

:howdy:

18 hours ago, b-ware said:

Yes they are.....................

For the sake of discussion I do believe the synthetic hair works just as well as natural hair........

I agree with you.

Towards the end of his fishing career, Andy Mamaty was tying most of his jigs with long nylon hair he dyed in many colors. He did so at his brother Al's request since quality eel skins were already becoming difficult to obtain, and they were looking for something to fill the void.   Once Andy got the hang of tying them, and got the colors right, and both Andy and Al figured out the nuances of fishing them properly they both said they worked about as good as eel skins. Without all the hassle.

Last winter I was tying up jigs and had a lot of left over Smiling Bill type jig heads and a lot of Savage type paddle tail bodies.  I figured "what the heck" and tied up some jigs with the paddle tails.  Smilling Bill's aren't my favorite heads by a long shot, but I had a bunch of them.  For the top and bottom black ones I added a little and a lot of silver Kyrstal Flash.  I did fish the top black one last year and took two fish on it during one nightime tide.  I believe the black of the jig head and paddle tail make the lure stand out in the dark water and perhaps the little bit of shine from the Flash adds a little realism to it.  Who the heck knows?

hybrid jigs.jpg - 1.jpg

One morning a few years back, I lost four jigs on four consecutive casts, then broke my rod at the ferrule and the top flew off into the canal. That was fun. 

2 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

One morning a few years back, I lost four jigs on four consecutive casts, then broke my rod at the ferrule and the top flew off into the canal. That was fun. 

I would have had to of had a talk with God on that, I'd be like "Yo, ..whats up" ?

3 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

:laugh:

6 hours ago, BillyBallGame said:

Yiks that's a bad day