codfish

Lost jig in the Canal

54 posts in this topic

Zero, unless I stubbornly fish one certain spot during a West tide, which I seemingly lose one every other cast!  :laugh:

Really shouldn't be losing THAT many jigs where you have to plan on how many you're going to lose per trip, imo.  

1 hour ago, codfish said:

how many Jig do you plan on losing per trip to the Canal??

Not many.

Lately, my jigs are bit off by blues or torn after catching a few stripers.

When I first started fishing the canal I used to lose jigs fairly regularly. Now I know the spots I fish fairly well so I can avoid snags. And my jigging technique is a lot better which helps to avoid snags at spots I don't fish often or at all.

At the spots I regularly fish I don't seem to loose many jigs. I had a few buck tails last a month or two of regular heavy fishing. Rubber baits are a different story, I find myself gluing on new tails regardless of if they're savages, sluggo's or other paddle tails very regularly. They just get so torn up very quickly.

I was always told "if your not losing a few jigs your not fishing them right" .........Obviously sandy bottom at the east end is more forgiving but fishing the mussel beds and cobble bottom your gonna lose a few!.........Jigs don't have to be fancy or expensive to work!

Just now, robc22 said:

I was always told "if your not losing a few jigs your not fishing them right" .........Obviously sandy bottom at the east end is more forgiving but fishing the mussel beds and cobble bottom your gonna lose a few!.........Jigs don't have to be fancy or expensive to work!

Some part of the west end killed me on jigs. Never many hang-ups east end except one spot where I can consistently catch bottom. I can assure you that I fish my jigs on or close to the bottom. I feel it alright.

8 hours ago, clambellies said:

I plan not to lose any.  I may lose a couple, but it is an unplanned event.

Same.

I'll still carry 40# of them with me though.  :laugh:

Once you get the feel of jigging and how far you can push it on a given spot, you shouldnt lose more than a  handful per yr. But its probably going to take a few months of trial and error to get to that point.

Also there are some spots that no matter how careful you are they are going to eat jigs. when the fishing is good at those locales ill accept the losses. One night 10-12 yrs ago i lost 5 black bucktails in a spot with a really rough bottom. But the fishing was lights out, so....

I dont plan on loseing many at all, but I have this thing about "pushing" and "searching" the depths,I know I'm gonna lose a few but I'm not gonna lose 10 a day, once I get a "feel" for an area I do OK

1 min ago, pogie_boy said:

I plan to lose a lot more this year than last year.

Gagg, Baggs, and Savage are Happy to oblige