Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Tog requirement

5 posts in this topic

are in the process of being decided upon and it is noted during the time when each angler can take 5 16 or larger tog home if you are on a boat [charter] that the total of the fish is 10 fish for the vessel . So if you have a full vessel [charter] , some one is not going home with a fish if I am reading this right. Jason is this going to be a reality or what?

Posted (edited)

Similar logic exists for a few different fish- scup and halibut come to mind. Tog take a longggg time to mature. Wouldn’t surprise me if a limit like this was imposed. Honestly, they should impose a stricter limit on egg bearing females.

Edited by JTR

15 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

are in the process of being decided upon and it is noted during the time when each angler can take 5 16 or larger tog home if you are on a boat [charter] that the total of the fish is 10 fish for the vessel . So if you have a full vessel [charter] , some one is not going home with a fish if I am reading this right. Jason is this going to be a reality or what?

If that is the case, who would anyone pay to go aboard a full 6 pack boat fishing for tog, when there is the possibility they will be the one going home without a tog? 

23 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Ya know Carl, if it went that way I might be a happier man! I would take one person fishing and I would not run charters for tog. I'd simply be a happy fisherman. Now more realistically, what they were actually talking about was to sync our regs with Rhode Islands where they have something like 6 fish/person on a charter boat with a more restrictive season and recs on privet boats have that 10 fish/boat rule. I think the 10 fish/boat is quite unfair as there would be a quite different allocation/person on a privet boat with 2 people as opposed to 6 persons. The bag limit should be "per person".

Further, I very highly doubt we in Massachusetts are taking too many tog recreationally at 3 fish/person for at least the last 10 years.  But when you add in all the poachers that are not even legal aliens fishing for the live market there could be some excess take going on. But then we are looking at a typical government reaction: "Party A" is making trouble so slap "Party B"!

I used an analogy in "The New England Fisherman Magazine" a couple of years ago about how fishery management works and it went something like this: A fat woman (named Rosie O'Donnell) weighs herself while holding her cat. If she does not like what she sees then she starves the cat.

We rec fishermen are paying a lot of money for saltwater licenses and at least 1/2 of that money should go to The Environmental Police IF they promise to never tell me (again) that "they don't have the manpower to check out the poachers I am watching take illegal fish!"

9 hours ago, JTR said:

Similar logic exists for a few different fish- scup and halibut come to mind. Tog take a longggg time to mature. Wouldn’t surprise me if a limit like this was imposed. Honestly, they should impose a stricter limit on egg bearing females.

They did! I "whined" about the spring commercial fishery for the past 20 years when the majority of the fish they were taking were females puffed full of eggs. They finally stopped the spring commercial season and I believe that rec fishermen still need to at least be "educated" to a point where if they do take a egg laden female then they do so in a responsible way (like perhaps once in a while it wouldn't hurt but don't make it a habit). 

Unfortunately, a lot of people have no common sense but if you "think like" you should be fishing responsibly then most would clean up their own act.

With common sense and ethical people we wouldn't need environmental police but since we have bad people and since we have police and since we know the violators only get caught "some of the time", then it would make a lot of sense to make the penalties for even minor infractions much more severe. AND, along those lines of thought: When a "major violation" is discovered (like 143 sea bass over the limit or a second offense of short tog for the live market) then boat seizures should be mandatory.

BTW, can anyone tell me how someone who is in this country illegally can get a commercial fishing license and have multiple violations over a dozen years? Welcome to Massachusetts!