ThirstyOwl III

First they went after Legal Trophy Hunters, and we said nothing.

61 posts in this topic

We will probably see more of this as land based sharking seems to be on the rise in NJ and NY. Targeting a specific "beach" species ? Hard to dial that in.

10 hours ago, Big Will said:

Changing the first amendment would be a slippery slope. I’d rather just deal with the lies of the media, that’s why I barely watch the news. Our rights are already slowly  being taken away behind our backs. 

You sound intelligent. The problem is with the large majority of ignorant people who watch the news and believe it all. The 24 hour news cycle has created a downward spiral of inaccuracies and sloppy reporting. Ad revenues have created left-wing and right-wing biases. Something has to change about the media. 

In my opinion, the media is far more dangerous to the average person than any assault weapon or whatever the latest “fad” disease is that they’re hyping up.

13 hours ago, z-man said:

There's nothing wrong with fishing for sharks in Florida and tons of people do it.  You can't pick what species eats your bait. 

And that's an important point right here. These guys are participating in a legal pastime, its just unfortunate some don't see it that way.

Good on the release.

I haven't watched TV in nearly four years, I laugh at the headlines MSN puts out every morning I turn my computer on.  Ridiculous, just gets people riled up and or scared for No reason. 

watch till the end...I see it all the time which is why I stopped watching cable news.

Crap news coverage....in between commentary on youtube vids....that's todays news.

Predictably the end of the vid shows what they were after.  A viral video....and trying to conflate the two to create outrage and clicks.

(I chuckled when that vid popped up.....as that's the specific one i had thought was gonna be shown)

17 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

I’m not saying they were fishing for edible sharks, they were fishing sharks for sport. So what? I do it for Albies and Stripers every chance I get and I don’t eat either of them, 

You do your best to revive knowing you are going to lose a few. Don’t kid yourself they don’t all live.

these guys weren’t targeting an endangered species as much as we aren’t targeting Atlantic Sturgeon. 

Maybe ... they messed up by not cutting the line immediately and instead tried to remove the hook (I’m sure their intentions were good). It doesn’t make them monsters. 

This news piece makes them look like monsters.  Give me a break.

Monsters? no

Ignorant? Yes

Posted (edited)

Not the most reliable/trusted source on the subject, but saw an article on the Daily-Mail that says the shark died.  say it's 50/50 if it's been verified or if they are just doing some BS reporting.

Edited by jhillman17

Posted (edited)

Not the most reliable/trusted source on the subject, but saw an article on the Daily-Mail that says the shark died.  I'd say it's 50/50 if it's been verified or if they are just doing some BS reporting.  I can't find any other confirmations on any other sites.

Tried posting a link but wouldn't let me.

Edited by jhillman17

Posted (edited)

Cell phone videos and social media will eventually cause a war of some kind.... you heard it hear first.

The BLM movement comes to mind.

Edited by JTR

2 hours ago, JTR said:

Cell phone videos and social media will eventually cause a war of some kind.... you heard it hear first.

The BLM movement comes to mind.

That’s a good point.

Posted (edited)

I am against trophy hunting. It is a terrible sport that causes extinctions.  We farm pigs, chickens and cows for people to eat. We should be farming certain fish for people to eat, too. When it comes to recreational fishing, it should be limited to certain species that are not endangered and reproduce rapidly at sporting sizes. Anyone claiming we are not killing off way too many fish has either not done much fishing for any amount of time or is lying. Fish like the hammerhead in the OP should not be fished.  Almost all large sharks are endangered. That includes sharks like Makos, which will be gone within our lifetimes. Those idiots in the video shouldn’t qualify for a fishing license.

Every animal and plant hunted by people that is not farmed went extinct or is going extinct. Thats what farms are for.

Big sharks collapse under their own weight out of water. Why aren’t these people protesting Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel, when they boat giant great whites for TV? It’s no different than this.

Edited by AxBeetle

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, AxBeetle said:

I am against trophy hunting. It is a terrible sport that causes extinctions.  We farm pigs, chickens and cows for people to eat. We should be farming certain fish for people to eat, too. When it comes to recreational fishing, it should be limited to certain species that are not endangered and reproduce rapidly at sporting sizes. Anyone claiming we are not killing off way too many fish has either not done much fishing for any amount of time or is lying. Fish like the hammerhead in the OP should not be fished.  Almost all large sharks are endangered. That includes sharks like Makos, which will be gone within our lifetimes. Those idiots in the video shouldn’t qualify for a fishing license.

Every animal and plant hunted by people that is not farmed went extinct or is going extinct. Thats what farms are for.

Good grief where to begin.

Ok.  Stop saying "WE" and go do it.  Go make a fish farm and sell the product.  "we" is who exactly.   OK, forget that topic.  Too broad.

Next.

Should be limited ot non-endangered species.  Was it legal to fish for that Hammerhead that they caught?  No.  What  endangered species is it legal to fish for?  Very few I'd guess.  It seems like you are proposing making it illegal to fish for fish that its illegal to fish for.  

The last sentence is so ridiculously factually incorrect I'll just let it hang there... while I feed the grey squirrels, wild turkeys,  and deer in my yard, and pick up the mess that the racoons made.  While eating my bluefish dinner.    Contemplating what to cook tomorrow, ruffed grouse or the moose steaks I got from uncle stan.  

Edited by 55555s

The reality is you’re wrong. Anything hunted frequently is gone or almost gone. Very few people hunt turkeys.  There is hardly any wildlife at all compared to when the pilgrims landed here. The same goes for the whole planet.  We are killing almost everything off.

11 hours ago, AxBeetle said:

Big sharks collapse under their own weight out of water. Why aren’t these people protesting Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel, when they boat giant great whites for TV? It’s no different than this.

straight up lie