Idlewild87

Bahama bonefishing

20 posts in this topic

29 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

^^^exactly

Shame your resort is of no help. They should be able to assist with getting your license in order if you don't do it ahead of time. Rent a car.

I love the Bahamas. But this is my favorite Bahamas joke:

What did Jesus say to the Bahamians before he rose into heaven?

Don't do anything until I get back. 

:)

eastern side of grand bahama has huge bonefish... so does the north.

buy do it yourself bonefishing book ASAP.

Can you afford to hire a guide for a day??? 

I was at the Sandals resort in Great Exuma and hired a guide for 1/2 day through the resort. Turns out it was real windy and not easy to see the bonefish. Plus there were two of us. Guide provided fly fishing tackle although the flies looked rather ragged. I was somewhat better at the fly fishing attempt than my "partner" but neither of us caught anything on the fly, until the guide baited him up with some squid and he caught 2 smaller ones. I toughed it out with the fly. No real instruction other than get outta the boat wander around and cast. Minimally, I would do some reading and watch some videos, so you know what to expect, and to do, and get a few flies of your own. Might have tried some shrimp scent as well, as I think this is what they eat. But I did it on the spur of the moment, and I think a half day was like 250 American. Good luck! 

Posted (edited)

I was lucky to get some intel from a local on a spot when I was on Exuma back in 2015. Stupid easy catching. :Last year on Long Island, the fishing was a bit more challenging. Got to see a ton of fish but they were very spooky and my technique was lacking significantly.

Ask the guys working at the resort. Not the desk people in their resort polos who want to sell you excursion packages but the guys actually working. Like the landscapers.

If I could afford it, I would be in the Bahamas every year.

Edited by MitchellNJ

5 hours ago, mightyrime said:

eastern side of grand bahama has huge bonefish... so does the north.

So does the west end. And the south.