Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reed422

Korean Food

29 posts in this topic

I'm becoming obsessed with it. I went to H-Mart three times in the past three days.

17 hours ago, Reed422 said:

I'm becoming obsessed with it. I went to H-Mart three times in the past three days.

lol you must have gone there for the free food tasting. Yes Korean food is awesome! And healthy.

2 mins ago, pilotman said:

lol you must have gone there for the free food tasting. Yes Korean food is awesome! And healthy.

I've been looking for a particular type of seaweed. Salted seaweed stems. First time I went couldn't find them since it was a small H-MART. Second time I just couldn't find them period. Third time I found them, brought them home and turns out I got the wrong ones. Maybe I'll go back again at my lunch break lol. 

5 hours ago, MickAff said:

Pics??

Next time I make something I'll take a pic. Probably going to make a spicy Berkshire pork bulgogi in a stone bowl tonight.

Had the best Dog when I was in Korea

These noodles were really damn good. They're sweet potato starch glass noodles. I got these berkshire pork butt steaks that I marinated in hot pepper paste, hot pepper powder, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, hoison, rice vinegar, sesame seeds and water. I broiled that and then chopped it up into bite sized pieces. The noodles I cooked until very al dente and then stir fried them. The veg is chinese chive, chinese spinach, ****ake, and then I used the marinade sauce to sauce the noodles. I also added more hot pepper paste and a few splashes of soy sauce.  Was damn good and spicy as hell.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:52 AM, Reed422 said:

These noodles were really damn good. They're sweet potato starch glass noodles. I got these berkshire pork butt steaks that I marinated in hot pepper paste, hot pepper powder, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, hoison, rice vinegar, sesame seeds and water. I broiled that and then chopped it up into bite sized pieces. The noodles I cooked until very al dente and then stir fried them. The veg is chinese chive, chinese spinach, ****ake, and then I used the marinade sauce to sauce the noodles. I also added more hot pepper paste and a few splashes of soy sauce.  Was damn good and spicy as hell.

It does look good.  I'm Korean but until recently, I never cooked Korean food.  My wife, who is not Korean, really likes Korean food and has been encouraging me to give it a try.  There are a couple of websites with Korean recipes if you are curious.  Try maangchi and Koreanbapasang (add dot com to those names for the actual website address.).

Adam....that sounds and looks really good. :th:

The first guy I ever met from SOL, Arby, has a wife who is Korean. I will have to give Ron a heads up on this thread so perhaps he can chime in with comments from Sunny. Strange coincidence is that he, like you, is also Jewish. 

On 2/14/2018 at 10:47 AM, Reed422 said:

Here's some noodles

IMG_7834.JPG

That looks really good.   I need some.  Haven't done much Asian lately except empty the refrigerator fried rice.  

Today I made a bastardization of Kim Chi Jjigae. Even made the sliced rice cakes from scratch, which wasn't that hard at all. Going to make stir fried rice cakes with the rest of the dough I made. I used brown rice flour instead of white. 

Try your hand at Tteok-bokki with some of those rice cakes you have left. Killer stuff. My mil buys country style ribs when they are on sale, and separates them into food saver packs for Kim chi jigea. She makes it hot enough that when my father in law was still with us, I can still remember him sitting at the head of the table lapping that stuff up, and as the beads of sweat would form on his brow he would just gab napkins and slap them to his forehead. Leaving them sticking in place as he snatched the spoon up and went back to work on the stew. Good stuff for a cold winter eve.