jp

Snorkeling

12 posts in this topic

I am headed to the Caymans with the family and would like to invest in a good mask/snorkel combo.  I never have had luck with the gear from West Marine or Dicks, they leak and don't fit well.  Anyone have a suggestion for a quality mask/snorkel combo that can be purchased locally (South Shore of MA)?

I personally don't know many places that could help you out, but that sounds like an awesome experience. What time of year are you going?

Id find a good dive shop.  One in sandwich next to marylous.  One in Rehoboth near Seekonk that i know of.  Never been since i dont dive.  But i have friends that do. 

Check out Bob’s Sea & Ski in Fairhaven. Lots of stuff and a knowledgeable staff. 

2nd a dive shop. You will pay some money but you get what you pay for. Got mask snorkel and fins 7-8 yrs ago and still fit and wear well and I don’t always take the best care of it. 

Always thought snorkeling for blue crabs in the summer would be great fun!.........Another "too do" added to the bucket list i guess...... 

Unfortunately not many dive shops are still around as a few have closed up.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:49 AM, pogie_boy said:

Id find a good dive shop.  One in sandwich next to marylous.  One in Rehoboth near Seekonk that i know of.  Never been since i dont dive.  But i have friends that do. 

That's the Aquacenter and I'm not sure if its open anymore? It looks closed every time I drive by them and they never had much for inventory on hand.

On 2/14/2018 at 7:38 AM, Seadogg said:

Check out Bob’s Sea & Ski in Fairhaven. Lots of stuff and a knowledgeable staff. 

I like these guys and their family run shop. Nice staff and they have a good amount of inventory on hand.

Posted (edited)

Dive shop is the only way to go.

You can try t\on the mask and give it the sniff test.

And it is not unusual for a dive shop to be able to supply corrective lens if needed.

For a decent mask, fins (do you want fins that you need booties for or just slip your bare foot in) and snorkel, $200.00 is a good starting point

Edited by otiscop

It’s probably the most expensive option, but you can buy once you get to the Caymans. There should be plenty of choices. 

Posted (edited)

There are 2 dive shops near you. Personally, I'd recommend North Atlantic Scuba in Marshfield. I bought a lot of my stuff there, including my mask, which I've never had an issue with.

There's another place on 3A in Quincy, South Shore Divers, or something like that. Never been there, so I can't recommend it. But, it is an option.

Edited by JTR

Picked up a good mask/snorkel combo at SS Divers and am just back from 8 days on Grand Cayman.  Awesome!

6 hours ago, jp said:

Picked up a good mask/snorkel combo at SS Divers and am just back from 8 days on Grand Cayman.  Awesome!

Sounds awesome. Pictures?