Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HanoverStriper

Safe deer feed in winter

19 posts in this topic

uninformed people (I used to be one) thought that deer ate backyard plants because they couldn't find food in the wild.

While that might be partially true in some areas, the fact is that the deer have adjusted their diet to match the season.

They eat what they eat because that's what they need at that time.

Oh, sure, they will eat almost anything you throw at them (figuratively) but so wouldn't a kid if he needed a well balanced diet and you gave them candy!

Unless there are strict regulations that prohibit "baiting" (note that it isn't just for hunting) maybe you could collect acorns for them instead?

I raked up all the acorns in my yard and left them in one big pile covered in a pile of leaves just in the woods next to my yard.

I can't let my dogs go over there anymore as they LOVE to eat deer turds, and that whole area looks like they were trampling it to make oak wine.

18 hours ago, ged said:

I hunt and I don’t use cameras. I see them as more trouble than they are worth. 

If you set it up for a few weeks and see nothing, your confidence is down and you don’t hunt good sign or funnel,. The deer could be 3’ behind the camera. 

False positive response. Good sightings for weeks before the season (predictable late summer - early fall pattern on food). Things change come hunting season and you are hunting where they “were” not where they “are”

Unnecessary scent in the woods. I don’t do any scent control and I kill deer. I hunt the wind and minimize unnecessary scent. 

Save your money and hunt Hingham town land. There is a lottery, apply and you will have a great chance at quality deer. (Ask me how I know)

I like putting them out just to see what pictures I can get, a game within itself. As much as using them for a hunting tool. Although they can be handy to find out what approx. time trails are being used. But often during the season their movements are changed due to rut activity and hunter pressure. 

I like the 30 sec. video mode. Cooler to watch than stills.