Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HanoverStriper

Safe deer feed in winter

19 posts in this topic

I know not to put out apples, and other things deer don't normally eat this time of year, but wondering if there is anything that is safe to put out. Just put up a trail cam recently, and would like to put something out to attract deer and anything else that might wander through my woods. 

judging by the carnage the local deer have delivered upon my aborvitaes this winter...try aborvitaes...

1 hour ago, HanoverStriper said:

I know not to put out apples, and other things deer don't normally eat this time of year, but wondering if there is anything that is safe to put out. Just put up a trail cam recently, and would like to put something out to attract deer and anything else that might wander through my woods. 

I wouldn't recommend it. Especially to all of a sudden put out a big pile of high carbohydrate corn at a time when their digestive system is adjusted to woody browse. If they pigged out, it could kill them.

Supplemental feeding of deer is illegal in NY, outside of food plots, or cutting branches.

http://www.suncommunitynews.com/sports/winter-feeding-deer-do-it-right-and-legal-conserva/

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7205.html

1 hour ago, oldgoat said:

cracked corn about 25 bucks for 40-50lbs

Corn is not safe at all to feed deer in winter.

https://www.farmanddairy.com/columns/feeding-corn-to-deer-could-be-death-sentence/14324.html

jettyjocky has it right actually.    if you want to feed deer in winter, plant things they like to eat in winter.  Cedar, Aborvitaes, holly, rhodys, raspberries, pachysandra, yews they LOVE yews!  They killed two in my yard a couple winters ago.   I'm pulling out the AV i planted with my daughter 10 years ago.   They haven't let it grow bigger than a twig in all those years.  

I'd recommend just finding a well traveled game trail and putting the camera on that. Check the camera every month or so.

It’s on a well traveled game trail. I won’t put anything out and just leave it as is. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

If you have a neighbor you don't like with rhododendrons, you can always cut one down and throw it on the trail.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, HanoverStriper said:

It’s on a well traveled game trail. I won’t put anything out and just leave it as is. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. 

If it's legal in MA, put out a salt lick. And/or get some molasses...pour some over the block, or pour some molasses on a stump. They'll find it.

It's now illegal in NY to put out a salt lick to attract deer at any time of year, not just during the season, it's considered baiting. Hardly anybody pays any attention to that outside the season. It's pretty funny, stores have all these specialty licks and powdered Deer Cocaine, etc, for sale, and in the middle is a Public Notice saying Illegal To Use For Deer in NY. :banghd: They sure do sell a lot of those high-priced gourmet mineral licks though. :wee:

Edited by patchyfog

I planted White oaks out back. The deer love the acorns and it's kept them away from the shrubs and fruit trees.

I hunt and I don’t use cameras. I see them as more trouble than they are worth. 

If you set it up for a few weeks and see nothing, your confidence is down and you don’t hunt good sign or funnel,. The deer could be 3’ behind the camera. 

False positive response. Good sightings for weeks before the season (predictable late summer - early fall pattern on food). Things change come hunting season and you are hunting where they “were” not where they “are”

Unnecessary scent in the woods. I don’t do any scent control and I kill deer. I hunt the wind and minimize unnecessary scent. 

Save your money and hunt Hingham town land. There is a lottery, apply and you will have a great chance at quality deer. (Ask me how I know)

Two 55 gallon drums of apples each winter and 2 bags of blue seal Coarse 14 each week. 

I had a crew of 18 everyday until.... I was informed that it does more harm than good. I fed them for years. 

Don't feed them.!

13 hours ago, ged said:

I hunt and I don’t use cameras. I see them as more trouble than they are worth. 

If you set it up for a few weeks and see nothing, your confidence is down and you don’t hunt good sign or funnel,. The deer could be 3’ behind the camera. 

False positive response. Good sightings for weeks before the season (predictable late summer - early fall pattern on food). Things change come hunting season and you are hunting where they “were” not where they “are”

Unnecessary scent in the woods. I don’t do any scent control and I kill deer. I hunt the wind and minimize unnecessary scent. 

Save your money and hunt Hingham town land. There is a lottery, apply and you will have a great chance at quality deer. (Ask me how I know)

I don't hunt, but thanks for the advice. 

Posted (edited)

Sorry. I realized I did nothing to answer your question. If you have cedar around cut a branch and it will disappear in no time. Deer will find it. 

Suplimental feeding with corn is is very bad for deer in winter. Cedar is fine. 

Edited by ged